PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Why can't LAX be D-1?

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Why can't LAX be D-1?

Postby dcpony » Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:50 pm

Seriously, SMU needs a spring D-1 mens sport. Baseball won't happen because of land issues and the number of exsisting D-1 baseball programs in TX.

I think SMU could be dominant in the sport because it would be the only D-1 program in the state just like the Ponies in soccer.

What would it take for SMU to make this happen? (i.e. how much money?, Title 9 issues etc...)

SMU could pull this off. The team could play in Ford Stadium, the student body seems like it would be interested in watching.

Living in the heart of LAX country has made me appreciate the sport.
dcpony
All-American

Postby abezontar » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:00 pm

you would have to add scholarships for the mens sport, facilities, coaching staff; AND an equivalent women's sport to keep the ratio of female athletic scholarships to male athletic scholarships the same as the femal to male ratio for the university. I have no idea what that would actually cost, but I imagine it would be a fairly significant expense. I seriously doubt SMU will be adding any sports anytime soon. Not unless we can start making the final four every year in bball, and crashing the BCS in football. I don't see those happening in the near future.
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: Why can't LAX be D-1?

Postby SMU Football Blog » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:17 pm

dcpony wrote:Living in the heart of LAX country has made me appreciate the sport.

Which is part of the problem. While there are some teams, Texas is not a big lacrosse state.
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby dcpony » Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:08 pm

I still wouldn't consider soccer a big sport in TX. Sure a lot of middle and high school kids play it but we're the only D-1 program, and it'd be the same in LAX.

Since SMU draws a lot of LAX players to school I think it could could work.
dcpony
All-American

Postby EastStang » Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:15 pm

Ain't gonna happen unless someone comes up with a huge lacrosse endowment. First, you need 1.5 women for every man competing in a sport other than football. So if you add a men's sport using 25 men, you need to add 1.5 women's sports. So, if you added Men's lacrosse, you would need to add a women's sport and a women's sport with reduced team sizes (like rifle or bowling). Now you get to scholarships. How many would you hand out for each sport? Because for every male scholarship you need to add 1.5 women's scholarship (due to football). This would make the cost very expensive. Basically 2.5 scholarships needing to be awarded for every guy playing lacrosse on scholarhip. Add into that coaching staffs, trainers, equipment, uniforms, travel and you could be looking at $1 Million per year. Travel would be brutal since most NCAA lacrosse schools are on the east coast. And what league would we compete in? I doubt the ACC, Ivy, CAA, or A-10 would have an openning.
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

lax

Postby MustangLaxer » Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:28 pm

SMU Lacrosse would not immediately participate in a confrence if it became an NCAA sanctioned sport (similar to what Notre Dame does in football). The current club lacrosse team is already practicing in Ford Stadium twice a week for offseason workouts. There is currently a lacrosse endowment set up for the team, and 65 team members who pay substantial dues yearly in order to participate. While Texas will always be a football first state, lacrosse is catching on quickly as football coaches realize how lacrosse keep football players conditioned in their offseason. After all, lacrosse is the fastest growing sport in the United States. SMU is about ten years from making the jump to D-1 lacrosse; however, it will be the first in Texas to do so. Florida State made the jump from Club ball to NCAA ball this year, so it can be done. On a more current note, the club team is making huge strides this year with the hiring of SMU graduate Tom Greene as head coach. Expectations could not be higher for the program featuring the largest senior class the team has had in five years. Look for the Stangs to compete for a confrence championship and a bid to the national torunement.
MustangLaxer
Heisman

Postby dcpony » Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:59 pm

In regards to the scholarship issues SMU could make cheer leading a scholarship sport and add I don't know .......womens water polo or fencing.

I don't travel travel would be a huge deal we could be independent or join the Great Western Lacrosse League.

Here are the members:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Western_Lacrosse_League

Air Force Falcons
Bellarmine Knights
Butler Bulldogs
Denver Pioneers
Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Ohio State Buckeyes
Quinnipiac Bobcats

But the bottom line is someone ore people will have to endow the sport and pay for the other scholarships. Ok we can kill this thread now.[url][/url]
dcpony
All-American

Postby Water Pony » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:49 pm

My son played Mustang Lacrosse. It is an awesome sport, but going varsity (though desireable), won't happen due to budget and Title IX considerations. As a matter of fact, you would need to add two women sports, e.g. softball, LAX, etc., to offset addition of a men's sport of this size.

There currently is a nice endownment thanks to the generosity of a Midwest Mustang BTW. And the Great Western would be the right LAX conference, but travel costs would be high with Denver, ND, Butler (IN), Bellermaine (Louisville, KY) and Ohio State being the closest.

After swimming, LAX is my favorite sport. And, it may be the best spectator sport too, e.g. high scoring, actions, speed, etc.

Nice thought, but won't happen.
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby MustangLaxer » Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:19 pm

I'd like to think that in ten years I will still have enough love for lacrosse and SMU to help support the lacrosse team...right after I replace every desk on SMU's campus.
MustangLaxer
Heisman

Return to Other Sports