PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

No. 1 SMU v. No. 16 S. Carolina

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

No. 1 SMU v. No. 16 S. Carolina

Postby mustangbill67 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:06 pm

The Mustangs host #16 South Carolina (10-3-0, 3-2 C-USA) Wednesday evening at Westcott Field. Kick-off is slated for 7:00 p.m. with CSTV in town to tape the game for broadcast on Sunday, Oct. 22, at 7:00 p.m.

If you live in the Dallas area do not miss this chance to see the number 1 Mustangs. No better way to spend a Wednesday evening.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyPride » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:04 am

Absolutely! South Carolina is underranked at No. 16. Very big game for the Ponies, and they need a big turnout from the PonyFans.
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Big10Ponyfan » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:26 pm

What about the weather?
Big10Ponyfan

Postby EastStang » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:00 pm

The tape delay is kind of insulting. I mean on Wednesday nights they seem to have a bunch of low level sports talk shows and replays of Saturday games. I would think a live soccer event featuring the #1 team in the Country against a ranked opponent would be a better draw. Of course, this is the same outfit that paid the MWC some huge number to cover football. I watched the replay of the Tulsa game the other night, but knowing what the outcome was and the exact minute we were going to score made it easier to leave the room and go do other things. At least I'll get to see the replay on Sunday.
EastStang

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:38 pm

SC kicked out tails last year, although I suspect the guys were flat coming off their lopsided win at ECU that clinched the regular season CUSA title. Bragging rights in my office tomorrow depend on SMU winning this one tonite.
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:46 pm

O.K. I see we drew 1st blood...up 1-0. make it hold up,guys.
Charleston Pony

Postby smupony94 » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:48 pm

Keep posting the info
smupony94

Postby H-E-B Mustang » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:58 pm

S Carolina tied it at 1-1 with 16 seconds left in regulation. Going to OT.
H-E-B Mustang
All-American

Postby mustangbill67 » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:11 pm

Final score 1-1. S. Carolina has a good team but it is not at SMU's level talent, skill and speed wise. This was a cool very windy night and both teams scored against the wind, S. Carolina with only 17 seconds left in regular time. Playing with the wind in the second half, SMU seemed to lose control of the midfield turning the game into one of long high balls.
We suffered at the forward position as Paulo da Silva and Scott Geppert are both out with injuries. Adrian Chevannes started the game at forward but was taken out mid-way in the first half and did not return. Do not know if he was injured or if Schellas benched him. He did not look injured. Jeff Harwell played well both at mid-field and later at one of the forward positions. PonyPride can fill in all the details on the game later this evening. A very disappointing evening at the pitch. The team played hard but seemed somewhat disorganized.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ThadFilms » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:57 pm

mustangbill67 wrote:Final score 1-1. S. Carolina has a good team but it is not at SMU's level talent, skill and speed wise. This was a cool very windy night and both teams scored against the wind, S. Carolina with only 17 seconds left in regular time. Playing with the wind in the second half, SMU seemed to lose control of the midfield turning the game into one of long high balls.
We suffered at the forward position as Paulo da Silva and Scott Geppert are both out with injuries. Adrian Chevannes started the game at forward but was taken out mid-way in the first half and did not return. Do not know if he was injured or if Schellas benched him. He did not look injured. Jeff Harwell played well both at mid-field and later at one of the forward positions. PonyPride can fill in all the details on the game later this evening. A very disappointing evening at the pitch. The team played hard but seemed somewhat disorganized.

Darn.
Eric Dickerson in Pony Excess

"I've love winning man, it's like better than losing." - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh
ThadFilms

Postby Big10Ponyfan » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:05 pm

We just need to keep our eye on the prize -- National Championship.
Big10Ponyfan

Postby smu diamond m » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:47 am

Still undefeated!
Sir, shooting-star, sir.
Frosh 2005 (TEN YEARS AGO!?!)
The original Heavy Metal.
smu diamond m
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby EastStang » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:24 am

We need to win the CUSA title. That should be step one. Then think about the National Championship. CUSA is a good soccer conference with some solid teams. The South Carolina game is a good preview for the NCAA tournament. Tough soccer with lots of fouls.
EastStang

Postby MustangStealth » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:40 am

Their goal was really the result of a mental lapse on our part. Their keeper took a long goal kick and our back line seemed to be asleep for a half second or so and it got through them all with a lucky bounce. It was a terrible way to end the game after holding them off for so long. I do have to say that in my opinion their forwards outclassed ours, especially once Chevannes went out. Both of their forwards worked well on the ball and created opportunities on their own.
MustangStealth
PonyFans.com Legend

Return to Other Sports