PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

No. 1 Mustangs remain undefeated with 3-0 win over Memphis

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

No. 1 Mustangs remain undefeated with 3-0 win over Memphis

Postby mustangbill67 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:50 pm

mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smu diamond m » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:38 pm

A team I can realistically expect to win everynight.
Sir, shooting-star, sir.
Frosh 2005 (TEN YEARS AGO!?!)
The original Heavy Metal.
smu diamond m
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangbill67 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:10 pm

Interesting box score for the game. Steve Sandbo our starting keeper before getting injured last year played some forward in the game and is credited with an assist on the second goal. Scott Geppert is shown as having played in the game off the bench. Scott was our starting forward who supposedly had surgery for a torn ACL last week. Anyone know what is going on with Scott?
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyPride » Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:22 pm

I'd be absolutely stunned if Coach Hyndman put Sandbo in the game. I know he's short of bodies up front, but still .... I'll see what I can find out. But athletic as Sandbo may be, that's like putting Bamba Fall at point guard or Thomas Morstead at running back. Possible, but just not likely.

And if Geppert played, then he is nothing short of a medical miracle. I gather he's a pretty tough guy, but he did have reconstructive ACL surgery this week, and there's not a doctor or coach on the planet who would allow him to hobble out on the field, regardless of how depleted the roster might be or how good he says he feels.

Put those two together, and I'm going to assume that the guys at Memphis had a braincramp when doing their rosters and box scores.
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mustangbill67 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:34 pm

Sounded bizarre to me as well especially Geppert. Sandbo has been playing keeper at the national team level since he was 13 so you would expect he has played on the field from time to time at least in practice. A high level keeper has to have some dribbling skills and he clearly has the vision to distribute the ball. All the keepers I have known through the years believed they could excell at forward.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyPride » Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:35 pm

mustangbill67 wrote:.... All the keepers I have known through the years believed they could excell at forward.
That's true -- and Ralph Sampson thought he could play point guard.
PonyPride

Postby FordtoTolbert » Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:40 pm

Sandbo played and had an assist...saw it for myself as I sat with #10, #14 and #15's parents..GREAT people, super supporters. Sandbo's deal had something to do with 1st. half substitutions / coming in and out of the game, etc, etc...it was only for about 1:42 minutes.....#10, Chase, scored 2 x, his dad was busy calling family and friends to report the outstanding news....#14's dad, Mr. Needham, was a super nice guy and very patient with me and my "soccer questions', his kid is SOLID....and #15, I think his name is Mirsky, his mom was there, very kind.....it was a great day to be a Pony fan in Memphis....GO PONIES!!!
FordtoTolbert
All-American

Postby D » Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:59 pm

FTT - correct on the substitution issue and why he played at forward. At that point in the first half, all of the other players had already played and been substituted for. Thus, when they had the injury at the end of the 1st half he was our best option. Interesting to see that he was wearing black shorts and had to find a regular jersey.

Definitely enjoyed the game. Was good to meet some of the parents and others that were at the game. Also, was great to see the Ponies do well against a pretty good Memphis team that was ranked in the top 20 last week.
D
Varsity

Postby PonyPride » Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:36 pm

I just confirmed the same thing, that Sandbo DID play forward.
Would love to have seen that. Nice job, Steve.
PonyPride

Postby MustangLaxer » Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:18 pm

I can garuntee you Scott did not see the field. I had reconstructive ACL surgery this summer. They require one week of bed rest and almost a month on crutches. After 6-8 months of physical therapy it is possible to get back on the field if you are rehabing like its your job (like Carson Palmer). Good luck Scott, I'm only 3 months ahead of you but fight through the early stuff. It'll feel right soon enough.
MustangLaxer
Heisman

Return to Other Sports