PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

1st round games

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby SmooPower » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:35 pm

UAB with a goal, 49 seconds to play.

UAB wins 3-2.
SmooPower
Heisman

Postby peaker » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:41 pm

The question in the women's game was how long would they have to play before Tulsa actually threaten to score. The answer - they would still be playing.

The ladies looked tired and I know several are playing through nagging injuries that you could tell affected their level of play. Tulsa's style of play also does not lend itself to a beautiful game. For the last several weeks this purely defensive posture and packing the box is what the women have faced.

Colorado College will be a formidable opponent. I know they are anxious for another crack at SMU and they are getting SMU at a bad time for the Ponies.
peaker
Recruit

Postby mustangbill67 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:13 pm

Well, the FIU result reflects the true difference between the two sides. We struggled against FIU in Florida back in late September finally winning 3-2. Now that the automatic bid is on the line (although we do not need it to go to the dance), the boys seems to have gotten serious and kicked it up a notch. Winning the C-USA tournament will help in overall seeding for the national tournament so we need to keep it going in Tulsa.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyPride » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:56 pm

Having Paulo da Silva back certainly doesn't hurt, either.
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mustangbill67 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:29 pm

PonyPride wrote:Having Paulo da Silva back certainly doesn't hurt, either.

Very true, although in our close 3-2 double OT victory, Scott Geppert played and scored a goal. Looking at the box score for the September game, we seemed to dominate as much as yesterday. Sometimes in soccer, the ball will not go in no matter how well you play.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smupony94 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:46 pm

mustangbill67 wrote:
PonyPride wrote:Having Paulo da Silva back certainly doesn't hurt, either.

Very true, although in our close 3-2 double OT victory, Scott Geppert played and scored a goal. Looking at the box score for the September game, we seemed to dominate as much as yesterday. Sometimes in soccer, the ball will not go in no matter how well you play.

Sounds like my love life
smupony94

Postby PonyPride » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:23 pm

Against a team as talented as SMU, a lot of teams will pack 10 or even all 11 back in their own end, trying not to get run off the field, and then hope for a counter-attack. That's why games with Tulsa always are close. Tulsa has nowhere near the talent we have, but they spend 90 minutes taking a team picture in front of their own net against SMU, trying to keep the score respectable. A lot of other teams will do the same.
PonyPride

Postby me@smu » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:17 pm

So we get UAB again...damn bastards ruined our perfect season...lets get em boys
me@smu
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:36 pm

A perfect example of how a box counterattack team can get lucky once in awhile. I don't care if we beat them 1-0 or 10-0, I want the W. If we win CUSA tourney, we'll be a top 4 seed and get home field all the way to the Final Four. I'd much rather play three tournament games at home than on the road. My guess is that we'll be a four seed unless because I suspect three of the final four ACC teams will get the other seedings. The Selection Committee has ACC love bad. Last year 7 teams got into the tournament. I guess at least 6 this year. I'm hoping that SMU-SC-and UAB get to the dance this year. With SMU, UAB, SC, UAB, Memphis, Tulsa, UCF and Kentucky, CUSA has some solid teams and should get multiple bids.
EastStang

Postby PonyPride » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:45 pm

I understand the UAB guys had a party the night they beat SMU that made it seem like the Blazers had won the national championship. Here's hoping our guys have a real reason to celebrate in early December.
PonyPride

Previous

Return to Other Sports