PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Hermann Finalists

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Hermann Finalists

Postby SmooPower » Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:08 pm

Joe Lapira, Forward Notre Dame
Greg Dalby, MF Notre Dame
Jay Needham, Defender SMU
Bruno Gaurda, MF SMU
Mike Videira, MF Duke
John DiRaimondo, MF SLU
Andrew Boyens, Defender New Mexico
Tally Hall, Keeper San Diego State
Jarrod Smith, Forward West Virginia
Dane Richards, Forward Clemson
Stephen King MF Maryland
Maurice Edu, MF Maryland
Yannick Reyering, Forward Virginia
Julius James, Defender U-CONN
Charlie Davies, Forward Boston College
SmooPower
Heisman

Postby PonyPride » Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:24 pm

That's OUTSTANDING! I didn't know Bruno Guarda was even on the list.
Would like to see Matt Wideman on there, too, but having two guys is tremendous -- and very much deserved.
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyPride » Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:01 pm

Bruno Guarda, Jay Needham Named to the Hermann Trophy Semifinalist List
Finalist List Announced on Nov. 27
Nov. 10, 2006

DALLAS (SMU) - SMU's Bruno Guarda (Piricicaba, Brazil) and Jay Needham (Fort Worth, Texas) are among the 15 players named as semifinalists for the 2006 Missouri Athletic Club's Hermann Trophy.

Considered to be college soccer's version of the Heisman Trophy, the winner of the award is selected by NCAA Division I coaches who are members in good standing with the National Soccer Coaches Association
of America (NSCAA).

The winner will be determined in voting by NSCAA Division I member coaches. Three men's and three women's finalists will be announced on Monday, Nov. 27.

The winners will be announced at a banquet in St. Louis, Mo., hosted by the Missouri Athletic Club on Saturday, Dec. 2, where they will be presented with the prestigious crystal soccer ball which has come to symbolize the highest individual achievement in intercollegiate soccer.
Former SMU standout Luchi Gonzalez was the recipient of the Hermann Trophy in 2001.

The complete list of Hermann Trophy semifinalists can be found at www.nscaa.com .
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby jkflamebo » Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:44 pm

Definitely agree, both Jay and Bruno deserve this. Bruno is ridiculous out there, impresses me every game with his skills. Jay is absolutely lights out in the back, look forward to seeing them shut down whatever California team we play next week.
jkflamebo
Hall of Famer

Postby mustangbill67 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:27 am

I believe that individual performances in the tournament through the third round are considered in determining the final list. Let's hope both Bruno and Jay have outstanding tournament performances, which I am confident they will.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony4Life » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:34 pm

Personally, I think Guarda will suffer in the voting because he's only a sophomore, but he has been extraordinary. Needham is by far the best defender I've seen this year (and I do watch other schools' webcasts, because .... once a soccer junkie, always a soccer junkie). Would love to see one of the Ponies win it.

Good luck in the tournament, Ponies!
Pony4Life
Heisman

Return to Other Sports