PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Pursuing a Pool

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Pursuing a Pool

Postby Water Pony » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:15 pm

During the last several months, there has been significant efforts by the coaching staff (present and past,) alums and friends of SMU Swimming to address the facility needs of the Men's and Women's Swimming and Diving Teams.

Our traditional strength in swimming and diving is a wonderful part of SMU athletic history. Due the efforts of many, including Coach Mac, a fund raising effort is underway to fund and build a new indoor aquatic facility, expected to be located on the site of the current Joe Perkins Natatorium.

With a goal of $16+ million, a small number of "friends" have stepped up and pledged a major part of that target. Current efforts include tapping more than 700 swimming alums.

If anyone feels an overwhelming desire to participate, let me know.

8)

Mu Sigma Delta

(Mustang Swimmers & Divers)
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMU Football Blog » Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:17 pm

When I was in school, there were a lot of swimmers and divers I wanted to "tap." :shock:

Did I say that?
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Water Pony » Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:28 pm

I will accept that the Women Swimmers where your candidates.

:P
Pony Up
Water Pony

Re: Pursuing a Pool

Postby DiamondM75 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:42 am

Water Pony wrote:Due the efforts of many, including Coach Mac, a fund raising effort is underway to fund and build a new indoor aquatic facility, expected to be located on the site of the current Joe Perkins Natatorium.

Oh no!!! Where are you going to put the band? We have to raise the 1.4 million to finish the new band hall in Dedman before we can tear down Joe Perkins.

Remember, the SMU Mustang Band is the only college band that rehearses "under water". The current band hall is under the east bleachers of the natatorium and below the water level of the natatorium pool and is below the water level of the outdoor pool and diving facility.
Just send 'da money.
DiamondM75
Hall of Famer

Postby Water Pony » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:06 pm

DiamondM75,

I would like to think that the needs of the band will be met before construction (hopefully in 2007) starts.

My appreciation to band members, past and present, for being the Hub of SMU Spirit.

BTW, any chance that the size of the band can be increased to historical standards, e.g. 99 guys/gals and a doll? Your spirit, though great, would have a greater impact with 100+.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby Ponymon » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:59 pm

DiamondM75 wrote:
Water Pony wrote:Due the efforts of many, including Coach Mac, a fund raising effort is underway to fund and build a new indoor aquatic facility, expected to be located on the site of the current Joe Perkins Natatorium.

Oh no!!! Where are you going to put the band? We have to raise the 1.4 million to finish the new band hall in Dedman before we can tear down Joe Perkins.

Remember, the SMU Mustang Band is the only college band that rehearses "under water". The current band hall is under the east bleachers of the natatorium and below the water level of the natatorium pool and is below the water level of the outdoor pool and diving facility.

Is there room to put them under the outdoor pool? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ponymon
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smu diamond m » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:07 pm

DiamondM75 wrote:Remember, the SMU Mustang Band is the only college band that rehearses "under water". The current band hall is under the east bleachers of the natatorium and below the water level of the natatorium pool and is below the water level of the outdoor pool and diving facility.

Not to mention below the water table.

Water Pony wrote:BTW, any chance that the size of the band can be increased to historical standards, e.g. 99 guys/gals and a doll? Your spirit, though great, would have a greater impact with 100+.

It's 96!
Sir, shooting-star, sir.
Frosh 2005 (TEN YEARS AGO!?!)
The original Heavy Metal.
smu diamond m
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby DiamondM75 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:22 pm

Water Pony wrote:DiamondM75,

I would like to think that the needs of the band will be met before construction (hopefully in 2007) starts.

My appreciation to band members, past and present, for being the Hub of SMU Spirit.

BTW, any chance that the size of the band can be increased to historical standards, e.g. 99 guys/gals and a doll? Your spirit, though great, would have a greater impact with 100+.

Water Pony,

The band is heading in that direction. Last year we had 58 band members. This year there are 76 or maybe 78, I don't remember the exact number. This is a huge increase and since there are only 10 graduating seniors, another 30 member freshman class will but the band size in the upper 80's. This is getting close to the desired upper 90's size.

The new band director envisions a band of 120 with 96 marching players and a drum line of 24. This is his dream band and I think he can do the job, if we continue to make scholarships available through the Diamond M Club and the SMU Band Partnership.

www.diamondmclub.com

www.smubandpartnership.com
Just send 'da money.
DiamondM75
Hall of Famer

Postby Water Pony » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:25 am

DiamondM75 wrote:
Water Pony wrote:DiamondM75,

Water Pony,

The band is heading in that direction. Last year we had 58 band members. This year there are 76 or maybe 78, I don't remember the exact number. This is a huge increase and since there are only 10 graduating seniors, another 30 member freshman class will but the band size in the upper 80's. This is getting close to the desired upper 90's size.

The new band director envisions a band of 120 with 96 marching players and a drum line of 24. This is his dream band and I think he can do the job, if we continue to make scholarships available through the Diamond M Club and the SMU Band Partnership.

www.diamondmclub.com

www.smubandpartnership.com

8) I like the trend. It can't happen soon enough
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby MustangStealth » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:29 am

DiamondM75 wrote:and a drum line of 24

My old fart head just asploded.
MustangStealth
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby EastStang » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:52 pm

Does the outdoor pool still have the windows in the diving well? Some of my swim team friends clued me in to that little perk.
EastStang

Postby Water Pony » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:09 pm

According to Austin Powers, "yeah baby!"

:wink:
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby smupony94 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:43 pm

Is there a special fund through the Mustang club to make this happen?
smupony94

Return to Other Sports