PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Schellas Hyndman Up for FC Dallas Head Coaching Job?

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Schellas Hyndman Up for FC Dallas Head Coaching Job?

Postby MrMustang1965 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:15 am

Jeff Agoos, the guy with the pony tail who scored that own goal in USA's famous upset of Portugal at the 2002 World Cup, is one of four finalists for the FC Dallas job. Agoos is joined by Southern Methodist University (SMU) coaching guru Schellas Hyndman, and two former Dallas players: Northern Ireland international Steve Morrow and D.C. United assistant coach Tom Soehn, reports the Dallas Morning News. A new coach is expected to be announced within the next ten days.

Agoos, 38, won an astounding five MLS Cups -- three with D.C. United and two with the San Jose Earthquakes -- in ten MLS seasons. Currently he is Technical Director for the New York Red Bulls. Agoos, born in Switzerland, grew up in the Dallas, Texas, area.

Hyndman has been head coach at SMU for 23 years, leading the Mustangs to the College Cup last season. Hyndman, who was born in Macau, China, to a Portuguese father and Russian mother, turned down an opportunity to coach Major League Soccer's Dallas franchise back in 2003.

Morrow played two seasons with Dallas, but he is best known as the Arsenal defender who scored the winning goal in the 1993 League Cup final. He has spent the past couple of seasons as an assistant coach with FC Dallas.

Soehn played five seasons in MLS Dallas and also for the Chicago Fire. He has spent the past three seasons as an assistant coach with D.C. United.

Three weeks ago FC Dallas chose not to renew the contract of coach Colin Clarke, despite Clarke leading the Hoops to the second best record in MLS.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/Articolo.aspx ... oId=178851
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby smu diamond m » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:12 am

I really don't know if I like this or not. I'm not a huge soccer fan, but I loved touting how badass our futbol team was when our football team lost that week.
Sir, shooting-star, sir.
Frosh 2005 (TEN YEARS AGO!?!)
The original Heavy Metal.
smu diamond m
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby jkflamebo » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:24 am

got a strong feelin schellas will stay till he get gets that college cup
jkflamebo
Hall of Famer

Postby MustangStealth » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:02 am

I think he'll stay too. I really get the feeling that the college game is where he wants to be.
MustangStealth
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:37 am

The college game is very different from the pro game. Of that list, the order of preference would be:

Morrow
Soehn
Agoos
Schelles.

I doubt that he gets the job. The Hunts might pull the trigger because of the personal relationship, but it would be bad for both SMU and FC Dallas.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mustangbill67 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:15 pm

Jeff Agoos played his highschool soccer at Pearce High School in the RISD.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Return to Other Sports