PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU Men's Soccer #2 in America.

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU Men's Soccer #2 in America.

Postby mustangxc » Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:39 pm

With UCSB winning the National Championship vs UCLA today I think we can legitimately claim to be the second best team in the country!
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby abezontar » Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:41 pm

UCLA probably has a better claim, they did after all make it to the final game.
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangbill67 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:04 pm

UCSB wins 2-1 with UCLA scoring its only goal with 12 minutes left in game. Who would have known that we saw the Mustangs lose to the National Champions.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangxc » Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:42 pm

abezontar wrote:UCLA probably has a better claim, they did after all make it to the final game.

Agreed. I'm not arguing that SMU will or even should be ranked no. 2, just that we might indeed be the second best team in the country. I guess we'll never know though.
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby jkflamebo » Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:55 pm

i really don't know what Schellas' approach will be this season after what's happened in the past two years regarding our W-L record and our tournament meltdowns. it'll be interesting to see how we start off and who we play midseason, i think we really need to schedule some monster acc or pac-10 opponents to see how we really fair against some of those guys. lets stop playing the centenary's and umkc's of the world and schedule legit opponents
jkflamebo
Hall of Famer

Postby Hoss » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:05 am

Huh? We had a monster out-of-conference schedule: Brown, Cal, Indiana are three of several VERY good teams we played out of conference. I drove to Dallas to watch some of those games, and was not disappointed. The reasons we lost to UCSB:
1. UCSB is a damn good team (obviously)
2. No Geppert, hobbled da Silva, injured Shuleva

Coach Hyndman has an extraordinary program and a fantastically talented team. They'll bounce back, and they'll probably be preseason top-5, and deservedly so.
Hoss
All-American

Postby jkflamebo » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:12 am

seemingly good teams, seemingly. yes those teams are known to have generally strong programs but not this year especially, i do understand it's obviously hard to determine that when scheduling opponents preseason. even in that we only played 3 worthy non-conf opponents, we need some acc. basically i wanna see maryland, clemson, unc, and or wake in westcott next year. we need that type of competition
jkflamebo
Hall of Famer

Postby mustangbill67 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:37 pm

Hoss wrote:Huh? We had a monster out-of-conference schedule: Brown, Cal, Indiana are three of several VERY good teams we played out of conference. I drove to Dallas to watch some of those games, and was not disappointed. The reasons we lost to UCSB:
1. UCSB is a damn good team (obviously)
2. No Geppert, hobbled da Silva, injured Shuleva

Coach Hyndman has an extraordinary program and a fantastically talented team. They'll bounce back, and they'll probably be preseason top-5, and deservedly so.

UCSB had a big, physical, fast, well coached team. The windy and cold weather conditions favored its style of play. I do not know if we would have done any better if our team was totally healthy. We were unfortunate to draw Santa Barbara for a second round game. I do not have a problem with our non-conference schedule. It is always one of the strongest in the country, which is necessary to get into the dance if you fall in the conference tournament.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

UCSB & SMU

Postby GoGauchos » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:10 pm

I thought I'd drop back in and say hi. I followed your team closely through the 2006 season as the Mustangs were the team to beat. During UCSB's mediocre regular season when it appeared that the Gauchos would not go very far in the post season I was hoping that SMU would be the team that would go all the way and deny the ACC and Big 10 the national championship. (I hate the feakin' ACC.)

Once UCSB was asigned to SMU's bracket I thought that the season was over in the 2nd round. We played our best game on November 15 in Dallas.

You guys have a great program, I hope your coach stays where he is.

There is a rumor heard over on the Gaucho message board that they will return to Dallas in 2007 to play the Mustangs, this coming from Tim Vom Steeg the coach.

Good luck.
GoGauchos

Postby mustangbill67 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:55 pm

I hope you guys do come to Dallas to play in 07. This would be a win win situation for both teams. How many of your top players do you graduate? Although we lose Needham,Wileman, Gomzales and Wideman our cupboard is not empty. I expect we will strongly compete at the national level again in 2007.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony4Life » Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:20 pm

Thanks, GoGauchos. You have a terrific team out there, and the fact that you won it all makes our loss sting less -- a little less.

Congratulations on fantastic run, and on your championship.
Pony4Life
Heisman

Postby braginator » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:53 pm

SMU finished #11 in the final poll. Fair enough for a team that lost in the second round (our first game) of the tourney.
braginator
Junior Varsity

Postby jkflamebo » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:05 pm

Yea I'd definitely welcome UCSB back to Westcott next fall, we did the same to Centenary when they beat us the previous term, we won 8-0 i think...
jkflamebo
Hall of Famer

College Soccer News Season Ending Poll

Postby GoGauchos » Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:10 pm

SMU ranked #6 in the College Soccer News Season Ending Poll.
http://collegesoccernews.com/index_files/page0527.htm

Ranked higher than several of the quarter finalists. Not bad.
GoGauchos

Return to Other Sports