PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Cossaboom Assistant coach at Gonzaga

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Cossaboom Assistant coach at Gonzaga

Postby mustangbill67 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:49 am

Gonzaga has announced that John Cossaboom will join it's women's soccer team as an assistant coach effective January 2. This lends credence to the proposition that he was either fired or asked to resign from SMU. Hope we get a new coach soon!
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Water Pony » Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:53 pm

Living outside the DFW Metroplex, this appears to be a surprising development. Any news on this decision or on a new coach?
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Cossaboom Assistant coach at Gonzaga

Postby Roach » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:22 pm

mustangbill67 wrote:Gonzaga has announced that John Cossaboom will join it's women's soccer team as an assistant coach effective January 2. This lends credence to the proposition that he was either fired or asked to resign from SMU....
I see it exactly the other way. Seems to me that if he's willing to become an assistant at Gonzaga, he must have been eager to get there, rather than eager to leave here. If he was being pushed out/fired, SMU would have had to pick up his contract, right? If that's the case, there's no need to accept an assistant position right away. Whatever the reason: good luck, Coach.
Roach
Heisman

Postby mustangbill67 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:22 pm

In my opinion, taking an assistant job at Gonzaga is a big step down. I get the impression (and that is all it is ) from talking to various people in a position to know the true situation that he and Orsini did not see eye to eye on how the program should be run and Coss decided it was time to find another position. There is no info out there as to what the true story is. Again, notwithstanding the fact that the large state school conferences all have women's programs, I would think that the SMU job is very desirable and we should be able to get a top notch coach. We should not be content to simply win conference championships year after year but strongly contend as do the men for a national championship.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Ponymon » Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:35 pm

Maybe we could get the Baylor coach? :lol:
Ponymon
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangbill67 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:10 pm

Interestingly, SMU remains quiet on Coss's departure. The departure was announced on the SMU web site but the announcment is simply the Gonzaga press release.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Return to Other Sports