PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Lettermen Profile: Swimmer Martina Moracova

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Lettermen Profile: Swimmer Martina Moracova

Postby Water Pony » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:30 pm

In the latest Letterman Newsletter, a nice article about Martina and Coach Collins. She is still completing. 8)

By Bryan Warrick
When SMU women's swimming coach Steve Collins traveled to a swim meet in Belgium in 1993, he probably didn't expect to meet one of the most dominant swimmers of the next decade. It was there that Collins met Martina Moravcova. Moravcova was a talented young swimmer who had represented her native Slovakia in the 1992 Barcelona Olympics. Like many other college coaches, Collins recruited Moravcova to swim for SMU. "I felt that the SMU swimming program as well as the school environment was the best fit for me," recalled Moravcova.

On the Hilltop, Moravcova became one of the most decorated athletes in SMU history. During her collegiate career she won 10 individual NCAA titles, which ranks second in NCAA history. In the end, she won 26 conference titles, 14 NCAA titles, and was a 25-time All-American. And, in international competition, she also broke 16 European records while attending SMU. When looking back at her time as a Mustang, Moravcova remembers the challenges of being a student-athlete. "Of course I remember mostly the fun times: winning and swimming fast, but I also remember the less pleasant moments of being a student-athlete. It always seemed that the days were too short and I had so much to do and learn. However, I loved being busy since by nature I am a hard working person."

Steve Collins has been a part of Moravcova's life ever since that day back in Belgium in 1993. He has been her coach for twelve years, watching her grow into the person she is today. When asked to comment about Coach Collins, Moravcova said, "He has definitely made me a better swimmer and I hope I helped him to become a better coach. Steve taught me to believe in myself and to race with confidence. All the traits that I have learned and gained as an athlete I use in my daily life even without thinking about it."

Her career as a swimmer has garnered more than NCAA recognition, but notoriety as one of the top female swimmers in the world. She has competed in four Olympics: 1992, 1996, 2000, and 2004, and she is currently training to compete in the Beijing Games in 2008. She has had the opportunity that very few people have had: to compete for her country. She says that each experience has been unique in its own right, but that she "was very proud to be an Olympian and represent my country." And she represented Slovakia well, winning silver medals in the 200 free and 100 fly at the 2000 Olympics in Sydney, Australia. With her performance in Sydney, she became the first female swimmer from Slovakia to ever win an Olympic medal.

Today, you can still find Moravcova around Perkins Natatorium as she is in her eighth year as a volunteer assistant coach for SMU. She continues to train for competitions all over the world while being able to teach future champions. "Still being active in sports helps me motivate and push the girls on a daily basis right in the water. I try to be a good role model for my swimming buddies." Plus, she admits that it's not just about the competition. "I have always loved our little SMU swimming community. We have been a very close team."

When asked where she thought she ranked among SMU swimmers, Moravcova recognizes that she has accomplished a lot, putting her near the top of the list. "On the Women's side, I think I have accomplished the most so far." And as long as she is helping coach current and future Mustang swimmers, she'll be a big reason why someone, down the road, may be able to match her achievements. But until then, Martina Moravcova is the best female swimmer to ever call herself an SMU Mustang.
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Other Sports