PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Big Hill To Climb

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Big Hill To Climb

Postby 50's PONY » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:34 pm

Tulsa in front after first round

Louie Avery - Texarkana Gazette

Staff photo by Robb Pittard Marshall Universitys Trent Schambach plays a bunker shot during the first round of the Conference USA tournament Sunday at Texarkana Country Club.

Its not supposed to be a controversy, but it was obvious Colt Knosts absence Sunday at Texarkana Country Club didnt help Southern Methodist University during first round play in the Conference USA Tournament.

The defending champion Mustangs find themselves 10th among the 11 competing schools at 301, 16 shots back of front-running Tulsa University.

Knost qualified last week for the Byron Nelson Classic with a spectacular 64, which he matched in Fridays second round to make the cut. He is expected to be in Texarkana today and Tuesday for the final two rounds of the tournament.

But is it too late for SMU?

‘I would hope 16 shots is too far back for them’ Tulsa coach Bill Brogden said. ‘If our boys do what theyre capable of well be in good shape.

Brogden was pleased his team was first after Sundays play, but not satisfied with his teams performance. Veterans Sam Korbe and Mitch Cohlmia both posted 74 during the first 18 holes. Ryan Henry led the Golden Hurricane with a brilliant 4-under 68, while Nocolas Geyger shot 71 and Brett Myers was at even par 72.

‘Im pleased with the guys overall’ Brogden said. ‘We could have done better, but then I guess everyone feels that way. All of my guys are capable, theyve all won tournaments this year. Thats a nice feeling as a coach.

Three shots back of Tulsa in the team standings is Memphis, with the UTEP another three back.

‘I believe the tournament is wide open’ Memphis Brad Benjamin said after shooting the days second best score with a 69. ‘We knew as a team we could win if we played well. Unfortunately we havent been playing that great this season. Its a tall order for us because teams like Tulsa have a lot of depth.

‘This course is really nice; the greens are awesome. I was told it was sort of like Augusta, and it is with all the trees. You feel like youre playing unique holes each hole because theyre so different.

Ian Rochester was also under par for the Memphis Tigers with a 71, while teammates Kyle Ritchie and Robbie Greenwell posted scores of 73 and 75 respectively.

UTEP had three golfers shoot par or better. Josh Taylor was 1-under, while Mannuel Torres and Colby Lindsay both shot 72. Roger Sloan was the Miners fourth player at 76.

SMUs Scott Sikes was in search of help after a disappointing 77, but remained confident the Mustangs would make a run at a fourth straight conference crown.

‘Thats why theres three days, you can have a bad day and still bounce back’ Sikes said. ‘Colt will be back today and thats a great addition. Everyone on the team supported him playing in the Byron Nelson. I guess we tried a little too hard today with Colt not here.
50's PONY
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Tue May 01, 2007 2:37 pm

The Ponies ended up in 4th place. Tulsa won it going away.
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponyplayer » Tue May 01, 2007 4:01 pm

Colt Knost was voted C-USA Player of the Year.....men`s team has made it to the NCAA Regionals as well..........
ponyplayer
All-American

Postby EastStang » Wed May 02, 2007 2:59 pm

Technically we have not yet gotten invited to the regionals and we did not get the autobid because we did not win our conference. I think everyone assumes that we will get an invite including the entire team which is why Colt played the last round of the Byron and Brendan caddied.
EastStang

Postby ponyplayer » Wed May 02, 2007 4:35 pm

they made it..........
ponyplayer
All-American

Postby EastStang » Thu May 03, 2007 3:36 pm

Nothing has been posted on the NCAA website and according to the SMU website bids don't go out until Monday. My concern is that as we see in basketball, a few conference championship upsets and some non-deserving teams getting autobids and suddenly, the bubble teams start getting squeezed out. Our ranking was around 41, I think. We should be all right, but I will breathe easier when I see it in print from the NCAA.
EastStang

Postby ponyplayer » Mon May 07, 2007 5:17 pm

just got off the phone with Miles Brand.............Ponies are 17th seed in the Central....................
ponyplayer
All-American

Postby EastStang » Tue May 08, 2007 10:59 am

Actually we're the 18th seed. And boy is that bracket tough.
Alabama and SEC Champ Tennessee. Most of the Big XII (OSU, A&M, UT, TT, Baylor, CO, Neb., OU); Louisville (BE Champ), Tulsa (CUSA champ), Lamar (Southland champ), half of the Big Ten (MSU, Minn, NW, Wisc., Purdue), and of course SMU and TCU and some other teams. Ten teams advance out of 27. The regional will be up in Chicago so it will probably be windy which will make things interesting to say the least.

Looking at the other brackets. The ACC gets 9 out of 12 in. The SEC gets 10 out of 12 in. The PAC Ten gets 9 out of 10 in. Big XII gets 8 out of 12 in. Big Ten 5 out of 10. CUSA did get 4 out of 12. The MWC got 5 out of 9 in. Why bother having a regular season? Of course in some of those conferences some of the schools that didn't make it may not have had a golf team.
EastStang

Postby NickSMU17 » Wed May 09, 2007 7:06 am

They get to play rich harvest, almost impossible to get invited to play there...great venue.
NickSMU17

Return to Other Sports