PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Former SMU Discus Thrower Michael Robertson

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Former SMU Discus Thrower Michael Robertson

Postby MrMustang1965 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:10 am

This year has been a far cry from the frustration and disappointment of recent seasons for Michael Robertson. The former two-time All-American for Southern Methodist University decided to transfer to Stanford after SMU dropped track and field from its athletics program in 2003, just after the squad placed fourth in the nation at the annual NCAA Meet.

“I was upset with [SMU],” said Robertson, the son of George and Deborah Robertson of Beebe. “I loved my coaches and teammates. The university dropping the team came out of nowhere.”

Robertson’s discus throw of 210 feet, 1 inch on his final attempt at the United States Championships in Indianapolis was not only good enough to win him a national championship, but also qualified him for the Pan American Games to be held July 22-29 in Rio de Janeiro.

“It was kind of a shock to me,” Robertson said of his championship-winning heave. “It all happened so fast.”

That shock, in a nutshell, described Robertson’s past few weeks in which he also finished second in the NCAA National Championships in Sacramento, Calif., on June 8. Robertson’s top throw of 203 feet, 8 inches placed him behind only Niklas Arrhenius of Brigham Young, who had a winning toss of 206-2. No other competitor in the field threw over 198 feet.

http://www.thedailycitizen.com/articles ... orts01.txt
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Water Pony » Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:17 pm

I still regret the cancellation of Men's Track & Field. As a Olympic and Non-revenute sports guy, whether it is for budget or Title IX reasons, it is a mistake not to have a Men's T&F team. In some repects, it is the first, quintescential sport. Thanks Greeks.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby MrMustang1965 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:46 pm

Water Pony wrote:I still regret the cancellation of Men's Track & Field. As a Olympic and Non-revenute sports guy, whether it is for budget or Title IX reasons, it is a mistake not to have a Men's T&F team. In some repects, it is the first, quintescential sport. Thanks Greeks.
Let's hope Orsini has the wisdom to reinstate Men's T&F at SMU ASAP.
MrMustang1965

Postby davidsmu94 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:58 pm

See That Steve. Even from the grave out SMU Men's program is winning Championships at the highest level. Do the right thing, bring back our program.
davidsmu94
Heisman

Postby gregkinzer » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:21 am

When our football program was coming back it was the non-revenue sports that kept SMU in the sports fans eye. The track and field teams were consistently good, and we dump them.....

Bring back Track and Field.
Greg Kinzer
SMU Basketball 1989-1993

Bring back the SWC!!!
gregkinzer
Scout Team

Postby davidsmu94 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:44 pm

Another update, Robertson is now the Pan American Games Champion!!
davidsmu94
Heisman

Postby MrMustang1965 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:01 pm

davidsmu94 wrote:Another update, Robertson is now the Pan American Games Champion!!
...and SMU still does not have a men's track & field team. Dumb, dumb, dumb.
MrMustang1965

Return to Other Sports