PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU Lacrosse is Top 25!

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU Lacrosse is Top 25!

Postby MustangLaxer » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:13 pm

For the first time, SMU Lacrosse has achieved the athletic department's goal of being top 25 in everything they do.

http://mclamag.com/top23/week3.php

MCLA Mag is a lacrosse magazine directed towards club lacrosse. SMU's win over former #18 Texas has propelled them to the #20 ranking.

Come check out SMU this Friday, February 27th, at 7:30 pm at the IM fields against natural rival Ole Miss.

Also, Sunday, March 1st at noon, the mustangs will take on #14 Lindenwood at the IM fields.
MustangLaxer
Heisman

Postby ER9TC4 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:36 pm

SMU Lacrosse is a rec sport and not part of the SMU Athletic Department... being top 25 in a rec sport is not the same as being top 25 in the NCAA...

Play Duke, Virginia or UNC and then we will talk...
ER9TC4
Junior Varsity

Postby PonyKai » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:53 pm

ER9TC4 wrote:SMU Lacrosse is a rec sport and not part of the SMU Athletic Department... being top 25 in a rec sport is not the same as being top 25 in the NCAA...

someone must have pissed in your cereal. Congrats to the Lacrosse team, it's a legit and damn well funded and run club sport here at SMU. Grow a pair and support them.
PonyKai
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby MustangLaxer » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:39 am

ER9TC4 wrote:SMU Lacrosse is a rec sport and not part of the SMU Athletic Department... being top 25 in a rec sport is not the same as being top 25 in the NCAA...

Well, I think those teams would run us, but they also get 12 scholarships.

It should be noted that number #6 BYU (MCLA) destroyed Air Force (NCAA division 1) in a preseason game this year.

Since the lacrosse club is supported by the athletic department & Mr. Crum ( his son played from 2002-2006) Mr. Orsini expressed to us in a meeting that he expects the team to meet the goals he has set forth for the entire athletic department.

Come check out a game if you're pessimistic on the lax team. We'll change your mind in about a half...
MustangLaxer
Heisman

Postby mathman » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:50 am

Great to hear. As far as the knucklehead that posted the cr@p. Get a life. These guys are busting it and evidently are busting it well. Long drive in from East Texas, but I might have to make a game.
When will I start feeling stimulated??
mathman
Heisman

Postby Caballo » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:01 pm

Maybe I missed it in the original post, but I don't recall anyone saying that the SMU Lacrosse team was top 25 in the NCAA. The team IS in the top 25 in the league that they compete in. That is quite an accomplishment that everyone associated with SMU should be proud of, especially in an athletic arena.

When the SMU lacrosse team takes the field they are representing Southern Methodist University. Therefore, they are representing everyone that considers themselves an SMU fan. I can assure you that Friday night when the winning goal was scored in overtime I was as elated as if the football team had just pulled off a victory over an arch rival (which recently I am not sure who that would be).

There was a large group of boys and girls who attended the game that were introduced to SMU through the field of competition. I know some of the boys that I took to the game have no allegiance to SMU. After the game, and even the next day at their lacrosse game, they were talking about how great the SMU game was and how they wanted to buy SMU lacrosse gear to wear. That is the type of advertising that you cannot buy and it introduces a group to SMU that would not otherwise pay any attention to our school.

As for me personally, seeing an SMU victory over a ranked team, especially Texas, gave me a sense of pride that I have not felt about SMU sports over the last 20 years.

Lacrosse is the fastest growing sport in north Texas, and likely most of Texas. Every year more and more boys and girls are picking up sticks and playing lacrosse. SMU needs to grab the attention of the youth playing lacrosse and show them that SMU is a great university that can compete with anyone at their level of competition. While the team is not on the competitive level of the East coast lacrosse powers, it does compete successfully with the schools that are in its conference. In actuality, as shown on Friday night, SMU lacrosse proved it is the team to beat in its conference.

Pony Up Lacrosse! Beat Ole Miss!
Caballo
All-American

Postby CalallenStang » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:10 pm

I would love to see our athletic department pony up the cash to make the Men's and Women's lacrosse teams Division I.
CalallenStang

Postby MustangLaxer » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:14 pm

CalallenStang wrote:I would love to see our athletic department pony up the cash to make the Men's and Women's lacrosse teams Division I.

That is really unrealistic until the department is running a surplus instead of a deficit. To have men's lacrosse, due to title nine, women's lacrosse and another women's sport would have to be added. And, I think lax would be behind track and field...

Special thanks to all of our supporters! Huge weekend this weekend...see you all out there!
MustangLaxer
Heisman

Postby Corso » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:38 pm

Considering there are (I think) six athletic programs that operate at a profit, the chances of this happening are zilch. Too many other things on which to spend what funds there are.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby MustangLaxer » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:17 pm

It is much more likely to add women's lax but not men's...
MustangLaxer
Heisman

Postby MustangLaxer » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:14 am

MustangLaxer
Heisman

Postby CalallenStang » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:49 am

MustangLaxer wrote:
CalallenStang wrote:I would love to see our athletic department pony up the cash to make the Men's and Women's lacrosse teams Division I.

That is really unrealistic until the department is running a surplus instead of a deficit. To have men's lacrosse, due to title nine, women's lacrosse and another women's sport would have to be added. And, I think lax would be behind track and field...

Special thanks to all of our supporters! Huge weekend this weekend...see you all out there!

I know it's unrealistic...but it doesn't hurt to wish to see it one day down the road.
CalallenStang

Postby MustangLaxer » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:33 pm

haha right on, especially since lacrosse is so spectator friendly!
MustangLaxer
Heisman

Postby PonyKai » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:51 pm

MustangLaxer wrote:

yay for title 9!!!!!!
PonyKai

Postby SMUtrojanFAN » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:23 pm

MustangLaxer wrote:SMU voted #24 in today's coaches poll:

http://www.collegelax.us/news/2009/02/25/the-prodigy-mcla-division-1-poll-22509/

I'm surprised by the number of west coast teams in the top 25. #1 Chapman is a tiny private school in the middle of Orange County with about 3,000 students. Pretty interesting.
GO MUSTANGS!

FIGHT ON!
SMUtrojanFAN
All-American

Next

Return to Other Sports