PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU Lacrosse is Top 25!

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby bubba pony » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:39 pm

[quote]Since the lacrosse club is supported by the athletic department [quote]

does the smu atletic department pay for the team to go away games. for example at
Thu Mar 26 9:00 PM USC University of Southern California
Sat Mar 28 1:00 PM Claremont Claremont College

http://www.collegelax.us/teams.php?id=167
bubba pony
Heisman

Postby MustangLaxer » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:46 am

SMU 13
Ole MIss 10

SMU lacrosse players spend over $1000 in dues to cover all their travel expenses as well as required matching equipment and referee costs. The school provides the field. The athletic department has been kind enough to let the mens and womens lax teams use ford stadium for practice and has opened the stadium up for select games as well.
MustangLaxer
Heisman

Postby MustangLaxer » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:59 pm

#24 SMU 9
#13 Lindenwood 10

in overtime in ford stadium
MustangLaxer
Heisman

Postby MustangLaxer » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:18 pm

http://www.westsidelax.com/Late-Rally-Lifts-No-14-Lindenwood-Past-No-20-SMU-in-OT-10-9

[quote]MEN: Late Rally Lifts No. 14 Lindenwood Past No. 20 SMU in OT

Senior attackman Chris Jehling scored the game-winning goal with 2:36 remaining in overtime to give No. 14 Lindenwood a dramatic, come-from-behind, 10-9 victory over No. 20 Southern Methodist in an MCLA Division I game Sunday afternoon.

Jehling scored his team-high third goal to cap a furious rally in which Lindenwood erased a two-goal deficit in the final minute of regulation. Jehling took a pass from junior middie Sam Spallita on the back side, side-stepped his defender and fired home a high shot just under the crossbar from five yards to give Lindenwood (4-0) its fourth straight win.

Junior middie Adam Stewart added three points on two goals and an assist, Spallita and freshman attackman Kyle Bazansky each had a pair of goals and freshman middie Jordan McKay scored once for Lindenwood.

Southern Methodist (7-1) had its season-opening seven-game winning streak snapped.

SMU led 9-7 late in regulation before Lindenwood closed within a goal on a critical play by Bazansky.

Bazansky scored with exactly one minute remaining to make it 9-8, but he also picked up a slash after the goal, giving Lindenwood a man-up opportunity and possession. Spallita took advantage, scoring the equalizer with 21 seconds to play.

Southern Methodist had led 6-3 at halftime.

“I would call this a wake-up call,â€
MustangLaxer
Heisman

Postby MustangLaxer » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:21 pm

http://media.www.smudailycampus.com/media/storage/paper949/news/2009/02/24/Sports/Lacrosse.Jumps.Into.Top.25-3645897.shtml

Lacrosse jumps into top 25

The SMU Club Lacrosse team pulled off an upset win over the University of Texas Friday night before defeating the TCU Horned Frogs Saturday afternoon at Gerald J. Ford Stadium.
With the wins, the Mustangs sit atop the Lone Star Alliance Division of the Men's Collegiate Lacrosse Association, and are the first MCLA team to reach 6-0 in 2009.
What's more, the Mustangs have finally broken into the elite of collegiate lacrosse programs. In its most recent poll released Monday afternoon, MCLA Magazine ranked SMU No. 20 among Division I schools - the first time SMU lacrosse has cracked the Top 25 in the school's history.
"It's a big accomplishment for the program," said assistant coach and defensive coordinator Chip Hiemenz. "These guys have so much to be proud of after the work they have put in."
Against the previously-unbeaten Longhorns (4-1), SMU used an array of offensive weapons to battle UT to a 9-9 tie at the end of regulation.
With just over 90 seconds to play in overtime, senior middie Taylor Manning fed junior attackman Tolar Hamblen for the game-winning goal before an overflow crowd at the Episcopal School of Dallas campus.
It marks just the second time the SMU Club Lacrosse team has ever defeated the Longhorns.
"I'd say this is the closest the team has ever been," said junior goalie David Perrin. "Right now it seems we are playing well all across the board."
The overtime clincher was one of four points for Hamblen, while senior middie Andrew Monaco scored a team-high three goals. In addition, freshman attackman Greg Henderson and junior middie Riker Vermilye each scored twice.
"I thought we really executed the game plan well," head coach Alex Poole said. "The midfield is the strength of Texas' team, and our long poles played extremely well against their middies."
SMU was able to overcome four goals from freshman Longhorn middie Johnny McKnight, a Highland Park native, as well as a pair of assists from senior attackman Evans Swann.
The Mustangs then came back to defeat cross-town rival TCU (3-3) Saturday at Ford Stadium.
SMU jumped out to a 3-0 lead after one quarter and never looked back. Up 6-2 at halftime, the team kept its perfect record intact with an 8-6 victory over the Horned Frogs.
"TCU is in our division and we have to win those if we want to be on top," Perrin said. "Our goal was to come out of the weekend with two wins and that's what we did. Now hopefully we can do it again."
While Hiemenz acknowledged the upset of Texas as "absolutely a big win," he stressed the importance of what may be the team's toughest test all year - this weekend's home matchup against the No. 14 Lindenwood Lions (2-0).
"We have a long way to go," he said. "Lindenwood is an outstanding and very-well coached team. They bring some of the top talent from all around the country. We have to keep playing as a team."
The Mustangs will host the Ole Miss Rebels (2-1) Friday at 7 p.m. before battling Lindenwood Sunday at noon.
MustangLaxer
Heisman

Postby mathman » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:08 pm

Lax, you keep posting this stuff and you are going to force me to drive in and watch a game. If I do, you have to promise to tutor me in the finer points of the game. I am not ashamed to plead ignorance of the strategy involved.
When will I start feeling stimulated??
mathman
Heisman

Previous

Return to Other Sports