PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Mens Swimming sending 16 to NCAA's

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Mens Swimming sending 16 to NCAA's

Postby EastStang » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:29 pm

Looks like SMU will be invited to 16 events in Men's swimming. 5 relays and 11 individual events - this is half the battle. Now if we can have a great meet, we can focus on that top 10 finish which would be a great boost to the program.
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Mens Swimming sending 16 to NCAA's

Postby Water Pony » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:17 pm

EastStang wrote:Looks like SMU will be invited to 16 events in Men's swimming. 5 relays and 11 individual events - this is half the battle. Now if we can have a great meet, we can focus on that top 10 finish which would be a great boost to the program.

As always, thx for the post. As you know, relays are critical to points in the NCAA Championship with double points. Go Mustangs!
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby ClassOf81 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:26 pm

This is fantastic. Coach Sinnott and Coach Collins and Coach Stillson never get the credit they deserve because of the lack of visibility of their sport, but those three do a fantastic job, year in and year out.
ClassOf81
Heisman

Postby Water Pony » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:04 pm

Eddie, Steve and Jim all do a great job!

Go Mu Sigma Delta (Mustang Swimmers & Divers)
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby Dubbya » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:12 pm

Give them extensions. If SMU coaches deserve extensions, it's those three.
Dubbya
Junior Varsity

Postby Water Pony » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:36 pm

For a non-revenue sport? What will the FB and BB boosters say? OMG, we need to control the budget. :lol:
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby EastStang » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:45 pm

We have had great success in the Country Club sports (swimming, tennis and golf), and we should continue to participate in them and fund them. I read that James Madison is dumping a huge number of sports to comply with Title IX.
EastStang

Postby Water Pony » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:38 pm

James Madison would not be unique. My son and daughter both participated in college sports, so I want opportunities for all. But, eliminating Men's teams in order to create opportunities for Women is the wrong method. Men's Baseball, Track & Field and Cross Country are already casulties at SMU. At other schools, wrestling, gymnastics, swimming, etc. for Men is out.

It should not be zero sum game or a perfect balance, since FB is unique in its ability to fund other non-revenue sports (i.e. BCS schools, btw), but requires 85 men in the program.

Sports is part of a liberal education and individual development for men and women.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby EastStang » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:02 am

I agree with you Water Pony. If someone with half a brain would insert language in Title IX essentially saying "don't count football", you would end up with something that is a zero sum positive for both men and women. I think the problem comes under current rules when budgets need to be cut. James Madison cut 7 men's sports and 3 women's sports. If you put in the football exemption, it would be more like 5 men's and 5 women's sports being cut which of course reduces opportunities for women.
EastStang

Return to Other Sports