PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Coach Lauren's Blog: Where Credit is due...

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Coach Lauren's Blog: Where Credit is due...

Postby ER9TC4 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:04 pm

Posted today on smumustangs.com....

April 22, 2009

Hi Mustang Fans,

Three days after coming back from Houston and beating the two-time defending conference champions (Tulsa) to bring the 2009 C-USA Championship to SMU, I can safely say that I have not yet come off the emotional high from our amazing victory!

But as I sit here with this 1st place trophy on my desk, I feel compelled to publicly give credit to everyone who has been a part of our program and who has day in and day out been there to support the women's tennis team and myself along this amazing journey. A very wise man once told me that in order to be successful you must "work harder than anyone else and above all surround yourself with good people".

Since the beginning of my time as SMU's Head Women's Tennis Coach, I have had the privilege of working with some of the best professionals in college athletics. I could not be sitting here as coach of the 2009 C-USA Women's Tennis Champions without the following people (in no particular order):

David Kuczer (Assistant Coach)-Thank you for stepping up to the plate in the middle of the year when the team and I needed you the most. You have done an AMAZING job and you are on track to be one of the best coaches in college athletics.

A.J. Smith (Volunteer Assistant Coach) - your energy and excitement is second to none and I know the team appreciates how hard you work for them. Thanks for always doing beyond what is expected!

Broadus Whiteside (Assistant Compliance Director) - I can't begin to express my gratitude enough but thank you, thank you, thank you! Thank you for all of the long hours, many phone calls, and way too many emails that you have had to put up with from me. Without a doubt you are the VERY BEST at what you do and this season could not be possible without your help and dedication to my program the last 3 years.

Jeff Mattis (Team Medical Trainer) - You took a very injured team from last season and made them stronger than we ever could imagine! Thank you for working with the players, being at every surgery, every rehab and for your daily communication and patience with not only them but also with me! You are simply a lifesaver!

Erin McMillan (Sports Information)- You have done a great job in your first year and you are so talented. Keep up the great work and thanks for always understanding how to deal with my nerves before and after a match!

Mathew Robinson (LEC Team Academic Advisor)-It's been a joy to work with you and thank you for your dedication and time with helping each athlete strive to reach their academic potential. I know it takes a lot of patience, but you have done a great job with them and with always keeping me informed.

Kellen Lewis (International Admissions) - I can not say enough about this woman and how vital she is to my program! With all of the paperwork and correspondence that has to be done with potential and incoming student athletes, I have no idea how she stays so organized. Truly a blessing to work with you!

Paul Frushour (Athletic Facilities) I know in your first year it has been a very busy and stressful time, but thank you for meeting all of our needs for practice and matches!

Tim Leonard (Sports Administrator) & Craig Shaver (former Sports Administrator) - Thank you both for your continued support of our team on a daily basis over the past 3 years. It is wonderful to have such support from the administration.

To my team- We are not done yet, we still have a lot to prove and a lot of winning to do, but thank you for allowing me to coach you and for letting me be a part of your lives. I told you from the very beginning that I knew you were going to be a special group, and if you challenged each other and worked hard you could achieve anything you set your minds to do. NEVER forget how you got here, and stay focused on your goals. We have 1 ring, now let's get another...

On a personal note, I would like to thank my husband Tod for putting up with and loving every minute of, being a coach's spouse. Your patience and love is more than I could ever ask for and I am so glad you are on this journey with me. To my parents, Jim and Colleen, for being my biggest fans and for pushing me to work hard even when the road was a bit bumpy. And, to Carlton Cooper, for showing me what hard work really looks like and believing in me every step of the way.

Thanks to all of our fans, we hope to continue our success this season by making a run for the NCAA Championship. I hope you will all be able to come out and support us and stay tuned because we are far from done this season!!!

Go Mustangs!

Coach Lauren
ER9TC4
Junior Varsity

Postby Ikus » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:59 am

Very cool to see a coach publicly thank all of the people who work behind the scenes. There are a lot of people who work endlessly without getting any acknowledgement, and for Coach to do that after her first championship speaks volumes about her character and her appreciation for those around her.

Here's hoping your championship is the first of many, Coach!
Ikus
Heisman

Postby Paladin » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:23 pm

A first class individual and member of the SMU family, who I understand reads and follows Ponyfans.com .....
Paladin
All-American

Postby mathman » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:48 pm

Our lady teams this year have been a breath of fresh air. So proud of them.
When will I start feeling stimulated??
mathman
Heisman

Postby centexstang » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:40 pm

With the way this team grew and when you look back to last year when she got HERSELF on THE TICKET and succeeded---maybe we need to consider more than the usual being out front all the time to gain good pub for SMU in Dallas and on their tours.
centexstang
Junior Varsity

Postby FriscoPMG » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:39 pm

Completely agree with Ikus -- it's great to see a coach publicly thank all of the individuals who help the program succeed, even if they're always behind the scenes.

Congrats to Lauren, her team, and all of her support staff!
FriscoPMG
All-American

Postby centexstang » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:48 pm

THE NCAA SELECTION SHOW FOR TENNIS IS TUES. @ 4:20 ON DIRECT TV #207 OR DISH #142---ESPNNEWS. LOOKS LIKE THERE WILL BE THREE, #2 SEEDS FROM TEXAS, ONE #1 AND ONE #3. SOME WILL HAVE TO TRAVEL.
centexstang
Junior Varsity

Return to Other Sports