PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Women's Tennis Hires Cosmin Cotet As Assistant Coach

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Women's Tennis Hires Cosmin Cotet As Assistant Coach

Postby ER9TC4 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:36 pm

Aug. 6, 2009

DALLAS (SMU) - SMU head women's tennis coach Lauren Longbotham-Meisner today announced the hiring of assistant coach Cosmin Cotet. Cotet comes to the Hilltop after a successful three-year career as a player across the Metroplex at TCU.

"I am extremely pleased to bring Cosmin aboard," head coach Lauren Meisner said. "His success at the Division I level will help our program continue to perform at a championship level. I'm also very impressed by his energy and work ethic and know that it will rub off on the players."

Cotet played for the Horned Frogs from 2006-2008, compiling 60 career singles wins, including a 26-9 record his senior year. Following his standout season in 2008, he was named Co-Mountain West Conference Player of the Year. He was ranked as high as No. 21 in the ITA national rankings, thanks in large part to defeating three players ranked in the top-15. In doubles competition, he teamed with Kriegler Brink to reach the NCAA Doubles Championships, and nearly upset the No. 3-seeded tandem in the first round.

Prior to coming to the Dallas/Fort Worth area, Cotet spent a season at the University of Iasi in Romania, where he was ranked as high as No. 13 in Romania Fuentes. Last spring, in addition to serving as a volunteer assistant coach for the TCU men's team, Cotet reached the Wildcard Singles Finals, a qualifier for the St. Vincent Auxillary Tournament, before retiring after a set. As an assistant last year, he helped guide the Frogs to the NCAA Tournament.

The Mustangs will look to build off a record-breaking 2008 campaign that saw them capture the Conference USA Championship and had two players, Marta Lesniak and Aleksandra Malyarchikova, reach the round of 16 in the NCAA Doubles Championship. Meisner hopes that Cotet's presence will only help to enhance the already-building reputation of SMU as a powerhouse in Division I tennis.
ER9TC4
Junior Varsity

Re: Women's Tennis Hires Cosmin Cotet As Assistant Coach

Postby indianmustang » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:22 am

welcome to smu
Mustang from India
indianmustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Other Sports