PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU Men Lose Close One

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU Men Lose Close One

Postby mustangbill67 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:06 pm

SMU lost to highly ranked Akron in the Tulsa tournament 1-0 on a second half penalty kick. Other than the PK, Akron had only one shot on goal. SMU had 2 but with no goals. I did not know that Ian Kalis has transferred to SMU from Duke. As I recall, he was one of the highest ranked high school players nationally in 2008. A big pick-up.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: SMU Men Lose Close One

Postby redpony » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:59 pm

mustangbill67 wrote:SMU lost to highly ranked Akron in the Tulsa tournament 1-0 on a second half penalty kick. Other than the PK, Akron had only one shot on goal. SMU had 2 but with no goals.

mb- the final box score was Akron 7 shots on goal, SMU 4: Akron had 3 corner kicks vs 2 for SMU.
Not a very impressive start. SMU also had 20 fouls called on them.

GO PONIES!!!
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mustangbill67 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:05 pm

redpony wrote:
mustangbill67 wrote:SMU lost to highly ranked Akron in the Tulsa tournament 1-0 on a second half penalty kick. Other than the PK, Akron had only one shot on goal. SMU had 2 but with no goals.

mb- the final box score was Akron 7 shots on goal, SMU 4: Akron had 3 corner kicks vs 2 for SMU.
Not a very impressive start. SMU also had 20 fouls called on them.

GO PONIES!!!

I believe you misread the box score. It includes both total shots and shots that are considered on goal. Both SMU and Akron had only 2 shots on goal. One of akron's was a PK. In my opinion, based on the quality of competition, it was a good start for SMU although we lost.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby gk00dad » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:48 pm

Keeper's version of events that led to the PK are as follows. "B.S. call like the Arsenal / Celtic game. Came out on a slide and was stopped, player kicked me, went down and got the call. Got hand to the PK shot but it had too much pace and ended up roofing it. Had a few choice word for ref, glad no yellow card." Overall not a bad game but needed to get more shots off. defense played well.
gk00dad
Junior Varsity

Postby MustangLaxer » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:49 pm

as a keep myself...i always think there needs to be more offense
MustangLaxer
Heisman

Return to Other Sports