PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Volleyball Beats TCU In Battle For The Iron Skillet

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Volleyball Beats TCU In Battle For The Iron Skillet

Postby PonyPride » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:07 pm

Volleyball Edges Crosstown TCU In Inaugural Battle For The Iron Spike
Mustangs Take Victory In Thrilling Fifth Set

Sept. 8, 2009

DALLAS (SMU) - It took five sets to determine who would take home the inaugural Iron Spike, but the Mustangs held off a late TCU charge, edging the Horned Frogs 15-13 in the final set to take a 3-2 win (21-25, 25-23, 25-17, 21-25, 15-13).

The Mustangs (4-4) fought off a fourth-set letdown, going on a tear to start the fifth set with an 11-4 run. The Horned Frogs (5-3) came charging back, outscoring SMU 5-1 to cut the lead to 12-9. TCU continued to battle, fighting off three-straight match points before Kendra Kahanek scored the final point to claim the victory.

Dana Powell finished with an astonishing .328 hitting percentage, recording her Conference USA leading sixth double-double with 23 kills and 11 digs. Kathryn Wilkerson joined the thunderous Powell, scoring her third double-double with 14 kills and 16 digs. Kelli Becerra notched her second double-double with 46 assists and 12 digs.

In the first set, SMU quickly found themselves with their backs against the wall. TCU broke an 8-8 tie with a 9-3 run to take a 17-11 lead. The Mustangs fought valiantly to get back into the set, but three points was as close as they could get, falling 25-21.

Nearly halfway though the second set, it looked as if the Horned Frogs were cruising toward victory. However, down 18-11 and facing a two-set mountain to climb, the Mustangs rallied around their super sophomore. Powell delivered, hitting .778 with seven kills. SMU tied the set at 22-22, before taking their first lead since the score read 4-3. With the score knotted 23-23, the Mustangs scored the final two points to even the match 1-1 with a 25-23 set win.

The Mustangs rode high on the second set momentum after the break, sprinting to a 12-6 lead. The Horned Frogs never got closer than five points throughout the remainder of the third set. SMU closed out the set 25-17, taking a 2-1 match lead.

In the fourth set, SMU overcame an early five-point deficit, tying the set at 12-12 before TCU regained control. The Horned Frogs opened the lead back to five, 21-16 before forcing a decisive fifth set with a 25-21 win.

SMU ended a two-game losing skid with the victory, and earned their first five-set win of the season. The Mustangs will try to ride the momentum of the win over their crosstown rival into the Montana Invite this weekend. SMU opens the tournament Friday against host Montana at 11 a.m.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Volleyball Beats TCU In Battle For The Iron Skillet

Postby southerncomfort » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:21 pm

for the iron spike...the skillet, we'll get back later.
southerncomfort
Varsity

Postby Corso » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:33 am

HELL YES!

Well done, ladies. Beating Froggy High — in anything — is awesome. I don't care if it's a seed-spitting contest. Got to love beating the damn Frogs!
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby mathman » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:40 am

Corso wrote:HELL YES!

Well done, ladies. Beating Froggy High — in anything — is awesome. I don't care if it's a seed-spitting contest. Got to love beating the damn Frogs!

You beat me to the post. Couldn't agree more. Great job ladies.
When will I start feeling stimulated??
mathman
Heisman

Postby CalallenStang » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:22 pm

What does General Patton have to say about this win?
CalallenStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby George S. Patton » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:37 pm

I'm always glad when we beat TCU in anything. So congratulations to the team. It still doesn't change my opinion that I do not believe Lisa Siefert is the right coach for this job. Her record is very average, she has no conference championships and no NCAA appearances in her 10-11 seasons here.

Why is she still here?
George S. Patton

Return to Other Sports