PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Unacceptable loss

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Unacceptable loss

Postby Oldkeeper » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:59 pm

redblue08 wrote:Your faceless and cowardly rants against the coach have gotten boring. You and redpony played the same tag-team chicken-sh1t game last year. By the way, where is redpony? He has usually piled on by this time. The Mustangs aren't the only team that struggled with St. Mary's and California. The Longhorns, who started the season ranked #15, lost to St. Mary's 2-1 and lost to California 4-2. The Mustangs have scheduled another TOUGH non-conference schedule, and I give them credit for that. The wins will come. I support the program 100%.

I credit the scheduling as well but that is the only thing that has improved. It's the same problem different year. I'd like to see the success again. In his last 4 years of coaching (men's and women's) Erwin has accumulated a 27-37-5 record. In the three years prior to his arrival SMU was 48-12-6.
I know my rights, man.
Oldkeeper
Scout Team

Postby redblue08 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:18 pm

My impression is that this coach is more interested in building a quality program than in padding his won-lost record. Obviously neither he nor the team intends to hide behind a soft schedule. In two years, there's been Notre Dame, USC, Oklahoma State, Portland, Oklahoma State again, and now St. Mary's and California who have also knocked off UT and A&M. So if you're really a Mustangs' fan, quit spewing your poison and support your team.
redblue08

Postby Oldkeeper » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:31 pm

My impression is that we had a quality program and this coach has brought it down. I wouldn't be posting if I did not want the best for the program. We can agree to disagree.
I know my rights, man.
Oldkeeper
Scout Team

Postby redpony » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:46 pm

[quote="mustangbill67"]
I was hesitant to jump into this thread because as I recall the bias's and axe's to grind with Brent by some of the posters has been discussed before. Player parents/disgruntled ex or rejected coaches. Playing time complaints. Players being cut. I really do not know the full story of the discontent but it sound to me like club soccer politics being applied at the college level to SMU.
quote]

MB67- I guess you are correct. It does seem that the women’s coach is applying club soccer politics to his college team. Perhaps that is why the team’s record and national reputation has been trashed.

In sports as in business anytime you have massive attrition it generally indicates that there is a problem. If there is a problem with recruiting and/or coaching tactics (as you mentioned) then the situation needs to be corrected.

GO PONIES!!!
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby redpony » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:55 pm

redblue08 wrote:Your faceless and cowardly rants against the coach have gotten boring. You and redpony played the same tag-team chicken-sh1t game last year. By the way, where is redpony? He has usually piled on by this time.

RB08- Redpony is here. I have been reading your useless diatribe defending Brent. Perhaps he is your father or boyfriend. Your ignorance seems to be surpassed only by your failure to see the truth through your super rose-colored glasses.

I guess your tough non-conference schedule is referring to St. Marys. Their RPI rating was #157 at the end of last season . This year they are not even ranked in the top 25. As of the 9-08-09 NSCAA rankings Cal was #16. It really doesn’t matter what other teams they have defeated. We should only be concerned with how we have played.

Teams and their success are judged by two things, their W-L record and their national ranking (which comes from playing top quality opponents). If you will use those two subjective items and compare the last couple of years results to the several years prior you will see there has been a significant decline in the quality and success of this program. No excuses, no butt kissing- just results!!

I, as well as many posters on this forum are only interested in seeing that our soccer program is the best and is not brought down any further than it already has been.

The proof of success (or lack thereof) with this program is in the W-L record and our national standing. Real simply- the coach must win or get out- just like any other sport.

GO PONIES!!!
redpony

Postby August » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:59 pm

redpony wrote:Teams and their success are judged by two things, their W-L record and their national ranking (which comes from playing top quality opponents). If you will use those two subjective items and compare the last couple of years results to the several years prior you will see there has been a significant decline in the quality and success of this program. No excuses, no butt kissing- just results!!

I, as well as many posters on this forum are only interested in seeing that our soccer program is the best and is not brought down any further than it already has been.

The proof of success (or lack thereof) with this program is in the W-L record and our national standing. Real simply- the coach must win or get out- just like any other sport.

Easy there RedPony. It's just that sort of measured, cogent argument that will get this thread yanked right off the forum. :wink:
Don't confuse me with the facts; I've made up my mind.
August
Junior Varsity

Postby IdgieThreadgood » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:26 pm

The REAL bottom line is that Steve-O expects all teams to be "in the Top 25" and has expressed this since his arrival as A.D. If our soccer program cannot get there and the current coach has been there long enough to recruit his own choices and cycle through a full class of players, his time on the Hilltop is surely limited. It goes beyond W/L records. Top 25 of bust!
IdgieThreadgood

Postby redblue08 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:44 am

redpony, I knew that with a little urging I could coax you out of your stupor. You're too predictable. The only thing you like better than gutless, faceless coach bashing is emptying oldkeeper's bedpan. So, moron, how did SMU women's soccer achieve its success during its glory days? Was it due to the head coaches? If so, who were they and where are they now? Research and report back.
redblue08

Postby Oldkeeper » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:38 am

Cossaboon lead the program most recently..hired 2003. Van Linder before that. Doesn't matter where they are. They lead the team to winning seasons and NCAA playoffs. It matters where the SMU program is now.
I know my rights, man.
Oldkeeper
Scout Team

Postby redblue08 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:57 am

Van Linder in his first post-SMU job went 17-33-5 at Baylor. More recently, he has taken Stephen F. Austin from 13-5-2 in 2007 to 9-7-2 in 2008 against the Lamars and Nicholls St.'s of the world. How can this happen? Cossaboon doesn't have a head coaching job.
redblue08

Postby redpony » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:08 pm

redblue08 wrote:redpony, The only thing you like better than gutless, faceless coach bashing is emptying oldkeeper's bedpan. So, moron, how did SMU women's soccer achieve its success during its glory days? Research and report back.

First, you can do away with the attempts at personal insults. If you want to discuss the issues at an intelligent level then continue. If not then you don't need to be posting stupid comments on this forum.
The SMU women's soccer team achieved success by winning. Following is an analysis of their performance for the past 8+ years. You can readily see the drop in results in the last couple of years. The proof of any coach is his (or her) W-L record and national status. Perhaps you should select another school to support if you love losing as you seem to indicate by supporting the current coaching staff.

Erwin cumulative 2 year (last 2 years) W-L record 15-20-2. No national rankngs, no conference titles.

Prior 2 years to Erwin’s arrival- W-L record 32-10-3. Won or shared C-USA championship both years. Advanced to second round of NCAA tournament both years.

You should also notice that prior to Erwin we were champion or co-champion 6 out of the 6 last years.

2009- Currently in last place with 1-4 W-L record
2008- 8th place in C-USA. W-L 6-13-1
2007- Erwin 1st season. 9th place in C-USA. W-L 9-7-1
2006- C-USA champions. Lost in 2nd round of NCAA tournament. W-L 17-5-1
2005- Shared C-USA title. Lost in second round of NCAA tournament. W-L 15-5-2
2004- Won WAC championship. 22nd in NSCAA national rankings
2003- Won WAC championship. Lost in first round of NCAA tournament. J. Cossaboon
1st season
2002- Won WAC championship. 20th in NSCAA national rankings
2001- Won WAC championship. 21st in NSCAA national rankings

GO PONIES!!!
redpony

Postby redblue08 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:02 pm

pinkpony, you're the one who started with the personal insults. Glad to see you've decided to clean up your act.

You left out 2000 in which the Mustangs finished in the the top 25 and 1999 in which they won the WAC tournament. No one is disputing the team's successes in the late 90's and early 00's. That's why I referred to them as glory days.

You didn't answer my question. What do you attribute that success to? Superior recruiting? Superior head coaching? If so, then why didn't it happen at Baylor for Van Linder, and why are SFA's wins down in Van Linder's second year there? Why is Cossaboon head coaching nowhere?

I think 15-20-2 is understandable for a new coach installing a new program who inherited another coach's recruits, and who opts for extremely tough non-conference schedules. Every program goes through rebuilding periods. This year's freshmen class is the first true recruiting class for this coach. These freshmen, many of whom started in the season opener, had played together for a total of two weeks before the season started. This team will not win Conference USA this year. But it will put a competitive product on the field while it gains experience and builds a foundation for future years.

Typing "Go Ponies!" on the bottom of your posts does not make you a Mustangs fan.
redblue08

Postby neustang » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:29 pm

I have not posted on this forum in a long time. I need to say that many of these remarks are insulting to the players. I do know for a fact that these girls are trying in a trying situation. I also know they love the game of soccer regardless of the outcome of the game. It is a great accomplishment to play college soccer, regardless of the win/loss record, regardless of the level. Please be kind to them and support them. I am not a huge supporter of how they are coached nor the politics involved in college athletics. There are far reaching life lessons to be learned by the players on this team. I believe this is why it is, what it is. Parents who interfere with their children learning life lessons rob their children of so much.
neustang

Postby EastStang » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:57 pm

The insults and the rants seem to be directed at coaches and not players. Erwin is a Schellas protoge who so far is not duplicating the success of his mentor. I am certain the players are giving it their all and I am certainly supportive of their efforts and Erwin's continued efforts this season. Let's hope they get things on the upswing in time to win the CUSA tournament.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby indianmustang » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:08 am

mens team plays Bradley today
Mustang from India
indianmustang

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports