PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Volleyball wins Montana Invitational; Seifert wins 200th

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Volleyball wins Montana Invitational; Seifert wins 200th

Postby PonyPride » Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:58 pm

Seifert Earns 200th Win With 3-0 Victory Over North Dakota
Mustangs Take Montana Invitational Title; Powell Named MVP

Sept. 12, 2009

MISSOULA, Mont. (SMU) - Head coach Lisa Seifert earned her 200th career win Saturday night as the Mustangs took the crown at the Montana Invitational with a 3-0 victory over North Dakota (25-21, 27-25, 25-21), extending their winning streak to four games.

Dana Powell was named tournament MVP, finishing with 17 kills and seven digs against the Sioux and leading the Mustangs to a 3-0 record. Kelli Becerra and Sidney Stewart also earned All-Tournament honors. Becerra closed out the tournament with her fourth-straight double-double, posting 36 assists and 11 digs. Sidney Stewart recorded a match-high 18 digs to close out the tournament.

The second set was the only one in which North Dakota (5-5) posed a serious threat, taking a four-point lead to the service line for set point. The Mustangs (7-4) fought off four-consecutive set points, tying the score 24-24 before going on to take a 27-25 set victory and a 2-0 match advantage.

The two teams were in a dead heat throughout the third set before SMU took a three-point lead, 17-14. North Dakota wasn't ready for the match to end, however, taking an 18-17 lead. The Mustangs slammed the door on the Sioux with an 8-3 run to close out the match with the 25-21 win.

The Mustangs charged out of the gate in the first set, taking an early 7-3 lead. North Dakota rallied back, tying the set 9-9. The teams were neck and neck to the 16-point mark, still tied until SMU opened up a 20-16 lead. The Mustangs went on to close out the set 25-21 to take the early advantage in the match.

Courtney Manning and Jessica Oliver each blocked seven attacks, while Kendra Kahanek added three. Kathryn Wilkerson was one dig away from a double-double with nine and 12 kills.

The Mustangs return home Friday, opening up the Doubletree Classic in Moody Coliseum against Texas State at 1:30 p.m. Syracuse and William & Mary will open the tournament at 11 a.m.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/

threads.com/ponyfans_staff
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Volleyball wins Montana Invitational; Seifert wins 200th

Postby George S. Patton » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:39 pm

Yippee -- that makes her career record 200-208 in her 14 seasons where she has averaged 14 wins per season.

No conference championships
No NCAA tournament appearances

Does it get any better than that?

And it's laughable how she's touted as a great recruiter on the web site. Whatever you say, guys!!
George S. Patton

Postby EP Pony Fan » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:02 pm

Grow up and stop grinding your axe. To win this weekend's tournament, they had to win three straight, which is never easy to do, and that included a win over a very good Arizona State team.

Based on your vendetta, I'd bet you see as many matches as I do ... and I live in EL PASO. Grow a pair and congratulate Coach and her team.
EP Pony Fan
Varsity

Postby George S. Patton » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:26 am

Great, they won a tournament. How about winning the CUSA tournament to get into the NCAA tournament to really get my attention?

I guess it's OK for people on another thread to rip the women's soccer coach, who is in only his 2nd or third year, and plead with Orsini to make a change. But I can't go after Siefert who hasn't accomplished anything here in 14 years.

Oh, and I love the "you don't go to the matches'' argument. And that matters, how?

Nice double standard.

As I said before, Orsini won't do anything about this because quite frankly, he doesn't give a flip about this sport.
George S. Patton

Return to Other Sports