PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Portland slams Lady Mustang's soccer

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Portland slams Lady Mustang's soccer

Postby redpony » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:29 pm

pony717 wrote: And finally, with the nature of recruiting in women’s soccer, to consider 2007 to be partially Erwin and 2008 to be entirely Erwin doesn't reflect reality.

In essence what you are really saying is that even though our previous coaches were able to succeed with a prior coache's recruits BE can not do so. He must have his 'pure' recruits in order to win.
If that is the case what about this year-2009? By this time he should have recruited the exact group that he wants yet to-date his 2009 record is 2-5. I hope this doesn't turn out to be the worst season we have had in a number of years.

GO PONIES!!!
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Portland slams Lady Mustang's soccer

Postby soccerobserver » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:58 pm

pony717 wrote:Lots of facts, but many of them miss the point such as your analysis of recruiting using topdrawersoccer’s rankings. As was posted previously, this team’s biggest need the past two years was an impact forward. Cossaboon inherited three and left his successor with none. Also, the graduation of Bailey and Bailey, and their 101 shots and 14 goals in 2006, is very relevant. And finally, with the nature of recruiting in women’s soccer, to consider 2007 to be partially Erwin and 2008 to be entirely Erwin doesn't reflect reality.

Pony717,

Back to facts.

Neither Bailey graduated in 06. In 07,Kimber played in 16 games, had 3 goals, 5 assists and 33 shots. Krystal played in 6 games, had 0 goals, 0 assists and 3 shots.

To your contention that it was only about the goalscorers-
05 under JC- Tied for first in Conference with 6 GAA in Conference play
06 under JC- Tied for 1st in Conference with 6 GAA in Conference play
07 under BE- 9th in Conference with 14 GAA
08 under BE- 7th in Conference with 17 GAA

In 07 the team returned 3 All-Conference selections, 7 of their top 8 goal-scorers, an All-American GK, a 1st team All-Central Region Def, 2 additional players (not including Gunter or Phillips) 1st team All-Freshman players.

Gunter was a preseason Hermann Trophy watch candidate in 07. She was the 1st team All-Conference GK in both 05 and 06. She was the CUSA Defender of the Year in 06 and the NSCAA 2nd Team All-American. She was on the team in 07 and 08.

Phillips was a 2-time 1st team All-Conference Selection. She was a Freshman All-American HM in 05 and a NSCAA and Soccerbuzz 1st Team All-Central Region Defender in 06. She played in 07 and 08.

You see what you want. I am not saying the coach is not good. Only that the stats do not support your arguments. Maybe he can't coach women. I do not know. To be honest I do not care. I merely find it amusing that you so strongly support someone, without an inkling of question, even though all of the facts point to the very least, questions.

Lastly, the website shows that SMU had 17 freshman in 08. Are you telling me that you do not think that attributing those to BE even though he was hired 17 months earlier reflects reality?
soccerobserver

Previous

Return to Other Sports