PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

PAYNE STEWART

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

PAYNE STEWART

Postby MrMustang1965 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:15 pm

My wife (BornRed&Blue) is currently traveling to St. Louis, MO. Just called me from the road outside of Springfield, MO to say that she was on the 'Payne Stewart Memorial Highway'! Nice.

Payne Stewart was born in Springfield, MO.
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: PAYNE STEWART

Postby redpony » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:45 pm

Payne was one of the all-time greats IMO.
I had the immense pleasure of exchanging a few words with him at the Shell Houston Open the year that he won it. He was on the practice range and I was watching. I happened to have an SMU hat on and he saw it. He came over and we chatted for a few moments.
I will never forget the day that one of my employees came in and told me that the plane was out of control and she thought he was on it. Payne was one of those people who defied convention. He brought flair and panache to a game that is often dull and boring. I hope that someday his son will do the same.

GO PONIES!!!
redpony

Postby EastStang » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:30 am

A great Mustang and a great golfer. He was known for his knickers and color schemes (NFL tie in), but you don't win the US Open without game. I've played Pinehurst (not from the blues even) and it was a tough course. Met him when we were at SMU. Great guy and a lot of fun. I'm glad his son is here.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby ontheedgeofmyseat » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:09 pm

tell her to stop at the Mo Sports Hall of Fame on the way back, right off the highway near the Highlands CC (i think..)...statue of Payne out front...lots of Payne stuff inside...I played HS golf v. Payne back in the day..he was the the man back then...
ontheedgeofmyseat
Heisman

Postby MrMustang1965 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:14 pm

ontheedgeofmyseat wrote:tell her to stop at the Mo Sports Hall of Fame on the way back, right off the highway near the Highlands CC (i think..)...statue of Payne out front...lots of Payne stuff inside...I played HS golf v. Payne back in the day..he was the the man back then...

Thanks! I will!
MrMustang1965

Postby ponyscott » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:20 pm

This is Payne's 30 year class reunion as he graduated in 79....wish he were still here to celebrate with us that weekend against Rice....didn't know him when I was in school as I worked my way through SMU but met him twice including at the Colonial one year and what a class act.....a legend.
ponyscott

Return to Other Sports