PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Men's soccer shuts out Memphis

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Men's soccer shuts out Memphis

Postby DallasDiehard » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:50 pm

How come the anti-coach crowd isn't out?

Oh, right — because the Mustangs turned in their best performance of the season (and maybe longer than that) to shut out Memphis. Considering the fact that we were missing a bunch of starters today, beating a quality team like Memphis is a major accomplishment.

da Silva and Hickey had great goals. Hill pitched another shutout between the pipes. Great performance.

Way to go, PONIES!
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Re: Men's soccer shuts out Memphis

Postby redpony » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:56 am

Glad they turned it around and played a great game. Let's hope they can go undefeated the rest of the season and possibly get an invite to the 'real' tournament.

Since you probably consider me 'one of the anti-coach crowd' I will respond by saying that I was unable to get the result of the game prior to this morning. I tried to watch it (and the women's game) on all-access and also gametracker. Neither system would work. At 6:29 pm my gametracker continued to state that it would begin as soon as the game started. Therefore, no posts regarding the game until today.

GO PONIES!!!
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby EastStang » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:23 am

I watched most of the second half of the game and we controlled the play. The CBSC announcers seemed to be stressing that Memphis had several players missing and they were some of their difference makers, but clearly a solid game on the pitch by the Mustangs. We played with some attitude and I thought we looked a lot like we used to look with crisp touch passing, and probing offense. The announcers also commented on McClemments pedigree. Assistant to Schellas, a very good head coach at Vandy before the shut down the program for Title IX, played at Indiana and transferred to Wheaton with excellent coaches in both places. They also commented on how good CUSA soccer is (a point I have been making for years). Memphis, SMU, USC, Ky., Tulsa and UAB have strong programs at this point. We now embark on a five game road trip. This will determine where we end up in the conference. If the team that played Sunday shows up, this could be the game where we started putting it together.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby PonyPride » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:15 am

Interesting that you heard those comments in the second half. It's true Memphis was missing a couple of key guys, including a pretty good defender who was sitting out because he got a red card in the Tigers' previous game. But in the first half, they also talked about the fact that while Memphis was depleted, SMU was even moreso, as the Ponies played without Leone Cruz, Arthur Ivo, T.J. Nelson, Richard Oliva, Brandon Pfluger .... at one point, they referred to Coach McClements and his staff "putting together a lineup with duct tape" to hold the team together. Considering the personnel losses, the Ponies' performance was superb against a very dangerous team. Even with a couple of their regulars out of the lineup, Memphis was a very talented team.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/

threads.com/ponyfans_staff
PonyPride

Postby smusoccer » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:21 pm

How come the anti-coach crowd isn't out?

Here is a little reminder on where we stand in the Midwest, yes I said Midwest and not nationally...

NSCAA National Rankings

NCAA Rankings Regional Men Midwest
Division I 5th Poll - October 06, 2009

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rank School Prev. W-L-T
1 Drake University
DA Bradley 3-1 5 - 3 - 1
2 Alabama-Birmingham, University of
DA Kentucky 1-0 7 - 2 - 1
3 Tulsa, University of
DH FIU 3-0, DH Denver 4-2 6 - 3 - 1
4 Kentucky, University of
LA Indiana 0-2, LH UAB 0-1 7 - 3 - 0
5 Creighton University
DH Bradley 1-0, DH Evansville 2-1 4 - 2 - 1
6 Missouri State University
DH Denver 1-0, LH Eastern Illinois 0-3 5 - 3 - 1
7 Southern Methodist University
DH Centenary 4-1, DH Memphis 2-0 5 - 4 - 1

That is a coaching problem. The fact that we have lost to bad teams and have a weak schedule.

With that being said, I am proud of the guys for stepping up and winning. Lets keep it going.

"Whatever it takes"
"Whatever it takes"
smusoccer
Recruit

Postby expony18 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:16 am

i still think we need a new coach
WEST DIVISION CHAMPS 2010
expony18

Return to Other Sports