PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Women lose 1-0 to Marshall

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Women lose 1-0 to Marshall

Postby August » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:09 pm

Sorry, I spelled her name incorrectly. The SID release is here:

http://smumustangs.cstv.com/sports/w-so ... 09aaa.html

She left after signing date and joined the team at Ole Miss.
Don't confuse me with the facts; I've made up my mind.
August
Junior Varsity

Postby pony717 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:41 pm

To try to get a frame of reference, I looked at turnover in Texas Tech's roster between this year and last. I chose Tech because Tom Stone is in his third year just like Brent. For what it's worth, there were six freshmen on last year's roster that did not return this year.
pony717
Recruit

Postby RealSMUfan » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:03 pm

Dylan Jordan left because she could not adjust to life in Dallas (the girl was from Tennessee and lived on a farm.)..SMU was a culture shock!!! Courtney Messina never even played last fall so I don't think you could say we are missing her. You also have to remember that SMU is expensive....and some could not afford to stay without more money.....quite a few wanted to stay, but in this economic time they (or their parents) couldn't afford to keep them at SMU and had to go to a less expensive college. But I guess you want to blame Brent for the state of our economy too!!!
RealSMUfan
Recruit

Postby August » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:28 pm

pony717 wrote:To try to get a frame of reference, I looked at turnover in Texas Tech's roster between this year and last. I chose Tech because Tom Stone is in his third year just like Brent. For what it's worth, there were six freshmen on last year's roster that did not return this year.

That's interesting 717. I don't know how many were in Stone's class so it's not clear what percentage of the whole that it represents. We started with 18 and lost 13 - or 72% of the class. Pretty large percentage but I honestly don't know how that compares around the country. These huge classes are something new to SMU Women's program as JC preferred smaller classes and, for the most part, most of those he signed stayed put.
Don't confuse me with the facts; I've made up my mind.
August
Junior Varsity

Postby pony717 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:32 pm

I counted 17 freshmen on last year's roster, but regardless, I don't think Brent signed 17 players with the intent that they would all be back this year. Nor did they all expect to be back. Some of these signings were very late. I think that signing 17 players was an acknowledgment that the team had some needs and the hope was that he might find a few diamonds in the rough that got overlooked by all the other teams.
pony717
Recruit

Postby pony717 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:43 pm

As a footnote to my last post, 10 of the 17 signings in 2008 occurred in June, four months after National Signing Day.
pony717
Recruit

Postby mustangbill67 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:16 am

I think the women's soccer NCAA scholarship limit is around 11 or 12. So this money has to be spread around all the non-walk-on players. Of course, there is also money available for these players from non-soccer sources such as academic scholarships, Pell Grants, etc. This puts SMU at a disadvantage with state schools because our tuition and other costs are much higher per player. Of BE 2007 February class of six (who were probably committed under the old regime), three remain. Of his 2008 February class of eight, five remain. His late 2008 class of 10 probably got very little scholarship money and were signed, I imagine, to provide bodies for practice and to get a close look at some players who were not signed in the main class but who show some promise. It is not surprising that there would be a large attrition rate in that late class. What happens with his large 2009 February class may be more indicative of attrition rates. There are currently 15 freshman on the roster.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby redpony » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:33 am

mustangbill67 wrote: What happens with his large 2009 February class may be more indicative of attrition rates. There are currently 15 freshman on the roster.

Unless there is a dramatic turnaround in this teams play can you really expect to see BE as the coach here next year? I would suspect that there will be a lot of soccer supporters requesting that Orsini make a change so that this program can be restored to its' previous glory.

GO PONIES!!!
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponytony » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:25 pm

redpony wrote:Unless there is a dramatic turnaround in this teams play can you really expect to see BE as the coach here next year? I would suspect that there will be a lot of soccer supporters requesting that Orsini make a change so that this program can be restored to its' previous glory.

I would say that BE's chances of being back next year are no better than 99%.
ponytony
Recruit

Postby redpony » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:35 pm

ponytony wrote:I would say that BE's chances of being back next year are no better than 99%.

Maybe Orsini's promise of 'top 25' in everything includes his stupidity of keeping a losing coach.

GO PONIES!!
redpony

Postby ponytony » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:53 pm

redpony wrote:
ponytony wrote:I would say that BE's chances of being back next year are no better than 99%.

Maybe Orsini's promise of 'top 25' in everything includes his stupidity of keeping a losing coach.

GO PONIES!!

We've provided three years of on the job training in coaching women. I think the stupid thing would be to let some other school reap the benefits.
ponytony
Recruit

Postby redpony » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:57 pm

Most intelligent ADs' would never hire a coach that needed 'three years of OJT' to take over a highly successful program. If BE can't be successful in three years why would you think he will change in the fourth? A loser is a loser!

GO PONIES!!!
redpony

Postby ponytony » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:09 pm

redpony wrote:Most intelligent ADs' would never hire a coach that needed 'three years of OJT' to take over a highly successful program. If BE can't be successful in three years why would you think he will change in the fourth? A loser is a loser!

GO PONIES!!!

You're right, rp. Orsini's a moron and you're a genius.
ponytony
Recruit

Postby redpony » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:26 pm

The truth is that SO only cares about football and basketball. He has no interest in non-rev programs. He would probably be happier if they did not even exist.

GO PONIES!!!
redpony

Postby neustang » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:40 pm

FYI, curiously, SO was at the game against Marshall. So he must have been there for some reason? Any guesses out there?
neustang

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports