PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Women lose 1-0 to Marshall

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Women lose 1-0 to Marshall

Postby mustangbill67 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:05 pm

From gametracker it looks like SMu outplayed Marshall but lose 1-0 on a goal in the 85th minute.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: Women lose 1-0 to Marshall

Postby August » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:32 pm

Goalie error again. But we're boxed into a corner since our junior goalie quit. We have two unproven/unplayed freshmen goalies so Webb never gets to have a bad game. Not good and not fair to her.

We're in a world of hurt at this point.
Don't confuse me with the facts; I've made up my mind.
August
Junior Varsity

Postby Oldkeeper » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:40 pm

"We're playing good defense and giving up fewer goals," Erwin said. "I think our team is getting better every time we play."
28 goals in 12 games....last in the league by 9 goals.
I know my rights, man.
Oldkeeper
Scout Team

Postby redandblue » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:23 pm

Outplaying people means nothing. Erwin uses the same people in formations and it is not working. When do we move on from "outplaying" to actually winning. The girls played very well in the second half, the pressure on Marshall's back line was great, but at this point I would take winning over 'playing well'. Something isn't working and since no changes are being made within the starting line apparently BE is convinced what he has going is right. Losing is old, make some changes.
redandblue

Postby PonyPride » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:37 pm

We spent most of the game pressuring their goal, but couldn't get one in. We had several shots that were close, and the Marshall keeper made a few good saves. Not sure I saw what you did on the Marshall goal — I didn't see it as Webb quitting on anything. Instead, I thought she was screened by all of the players in front of her. Hard to say.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby August » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:45 pm

PonyPride wrote: We had several shots that were close.

Check the stats: Close doesn't count. We lost. Again.

PonyPride wrote: I didn't see it as Webb quitting on anything.

I never said she quit. I said she muffed it. Even GT called it a rebound so I didn't see it incorrectly. Goalies sometimes need a break, especially those who get hammered in every game. At this point last year, BE had long since pulled our Hermann Trophy candidate with fewer losses and fewer GA.

Any way you look at it, this team and this coach is in serious trouble, especially since C-USA has changed the format to include only the top 6 teams in conference championship play.
August
Junior Varsity

Postby redpony » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:47 am

I don't want to pile on but the losses just keep mounting. When is SO going to realize he made a mistake?? If BE is still here after the close of the season we should just cancel the women's soccer program- it would be less embarassing. :evil:

GO PONIES!!!
redpony

Postby HeyHey » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:45 am

If BE is still here after the close of the season we should just cancel the women's soccer program- it would be less embarassing.

That statement is embarrassing. Last night's game was an improved performance all around - better possession play, more shooting, improved midfield play and solid defense. Webb got blocked out and got scored on in the 85th minute. One of our top scorers was out most of the game after taking a high kick in the stomach for which not only did the Marshall player not get a card, the ref didn't even call a foul.

Yes, they lost a heartbreaker. That's tough but it happens. But the youngest team in CUSA showed marked improvement. They need to keep their heads up and keep working. Statements about canceling the program undermines the players, not just BE. Adding "GO PONIES" at the end doesn't override the complete lack of respect you're showing the girls.
HeyHey
Recruit

Postby redpony » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:29 am

It really doesn't matter how damn well they played- they lost!!. C-USA doe not give points on effort, they give points on wins. It is unfortunate that they played well and still lost. This is not the first game where the girls have given a good effort and lost. We have a young team because the coach drives away the good players. Check some of the other posts about the attrition on this team. My point was I would rather not have a team than have a coach who continues to lose and also drive off the good players.
It will not be long before SMU gets a really bad reputation and then it will be almost impossible to recruit decent players. This used to be a nationally recognized, winning program and now it's the doormat of women's soccer. :evil: Thank you (not)BE and SO.

GO PONIES!!!
redpony

Postby RealSMUfan » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:33 pm

What good players has BE drove off??? We still have Peabody, Eidson, Webb, Cox, May, Shephard, Medeiros....we lose Raad to injury...unless you are going to blame THAT on him to??? Plus we got a transfer from UNC..........so.....I don't know who you think we lost that was THAT amazing.
RealSMUfan
Recruit

Postby newmustangfan » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:22 pm

redpony wrote:It really doesn't matter how damn well they played- they lost!!.

While a loss is a loss, I'd rather see my team play well in a loss than play poorly in a loss. And despite Marshall's 11-2 record, SMU looked like the better team last night. There's how you play and there's how you score. SMU has been playing pretty well but not scoring very well. I think the team lacks one player, and that would be a scorer who's good for 12-15 goals over the course of a season. That's what's been missing over the past three seasons. Throw that player into the mix and the team is probably 8-3-1 rather than 3-8-1.
newmustangfan
Scout Team

Postby August » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:46 pm

RealSMUfan wrote:What good players has BE drove off???

Dylan Jordan, Courtney Messina and top recruit Brittainy King are all playing at Ole Miss, ranked 24th in the country who just beat #14 yesterday. Ole Miss had a dismal season last year so they are at least a part of their great success this year.Don't forget that Caitlin Carter and Krystal Bailey both passed on redshirt years. Rachel Michener left 2 years ago after one season here and Alex Russell, Meagan Boyle and Devon Herman left this year - all very nice players who left because of the team culture. I'm probably forgetting someone but with this kind of attrition of quality players, we will continue to be the youngest team and it's negatively impacting our success.
August
Junior Varsity

Postby PonyPride » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:16 am

August wrote:I never said she quit. I said she muffed it.

My mistake — misread your post.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride

Postby August » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:29 am

PonyPride wrote:My mistake — misread your post.

I can see why you read it that way - I was referencing Boyle as the junior goalie who left/quit but wasn't very clear.
August
Junior Varsity

Postby mustangbill67 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:45 pm

August, who was Brittainy King. I cannot find anyone by that name who signed a LOI with SMU. If she was a person who changed her commitment from SMU to another school before signing date that cannot be held against the coach. That kind of thing happens all the time and the coach has no real control over it.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Next

Return to Other Sports