PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Women fall 1-0 to UCF

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Women fall 1-0 to UCF

Postby mustangbill67 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:05 pm

The women's soccer team lost 1-0 to UCF at home. Based on GT, it looked like a hard fought, close game against one of the top conf USA women's teams.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: Women fall 1-0 to UCF

Postby mustangbill67 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:17 pm

Tulsa won tonight so it appears SMU was eliminated from the conf. USA tournament, which takes only the top 6 teams out of 12.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby August » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:35 pm

I don't think that's correct. Tulsa plays UCF Sunday and assuming we beat So Miss and Tulsa loses, we would have 13 points to Tulsa's 12 when we meet next week - correct?

But any way you look at it we need a lot of help from other teams to get into the tournament and that's just a sad state of affairs. It seems we play at least decently each week and then the other coach makes some halftime adjustments and we get bit in the second half.
Don't confuse me with the facts; I've made up my mind.
August
Junior Varsity

Postby newmustangfan » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:22 pm

If Ponies take care of business against Southern Miss and Tulsa, they're almost certainly in. UAB still has to play Memphis. Marshall and UAB still have to play each other. SMU has the tie break over ECU and UAB. It would be hard for SMU to miss the tournament if they can finish with two wins.
newmustangfan
Scout Team

Postby mustangbill67 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:38 pm

My mistake, you guys are right. The standings I looked at on the conf web site indicated they were current through last sunday but had apparently been updated to reflect tonights results. So in effect I gave Tulsa an extra 3 points. I thought we only had one game left instead of 2.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponytony » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:43 pm

mustangbill67 wrote:The women's soccer team lost 1-0 to UCF at home. Based on GT, it looked like a hard fought, close game against one of the top conf USA women's teams.

I was expecting a 3-0, maybe 4-0, drubbing by the # 11 team in the nation. UCF has a very organized attack, but SMU defenders were relentless. Winning goal was a header off a corner kick. Problem continues to be putting the ball in the goal. Hopefully we'll get a few against So Miss and Tulsa.
ponytony
Recruit

Postby PonyPride » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:52 pm

Tonight's game might have been the best performance of the year — at least the best performance at home, in my opinion. Ponies were the better team in the first half, and for part of the second. Goalkeeper Courtney Webb was sensational and didn't deserve a loss.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby August » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:56 pm

PonyPride wrote:Tonight's game might have been the best performance of the year — at least the best performance at home, in my opinion. Ponies were the better team in the first half, and for part of the second. Goalkeeper Courtney Webb was sensational and didn't deserve a loss.

While I agree with most of what you say, sadly the NCAA committee doesn't give a rat about any of that. We need to figure out how to WIN because that's all that counts. All the rest is just fluff.
August
Junior Varsity

Postby mustangbill67 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:03 pm

Current points from the conf web site

UCF 24 qualified
UTEP 21 qualified
Memphis 21 qualified
Colorado College 19 qualified

UAB 14 memphis marshall
Marshall 12 memphis east car
Tulsa 12 ucf and smu
East Carolina 10 memphis, marshall
SMU 10 tulsa and s miss
Houston 8
Rice 7
Southern Miss 0

If we win 2, that puts us at 16 and in good shape unless UAB beats Memphis and goes to 17 points while Marshall wins out and goes to 18. Did not look at tie breakers.
Last edited by mustangbill67 on Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyPride » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:08 pm

August wrote:
PonyPride wrote:Tonight's game might have been the best performance of the year — at least the best performance at home, in my opinion. Ponies were the better team in the first half, and for part of the second. Goalkeeper Courtney Webb was sensational and didn't deserve a loss.

While I agree with most of what you say, sadly the NCAA committee doesn't give a rat about any of that. We need to figure out how to WIN because that's all that counts. All the rest is just fluff.

Well, right — I wasn't suggesting that a good performance should affect postseason possibilities. Just responding to the original post:

mustangbill67 wrote:The women's soccer team lost 1-0 to UCF at home. Based on GT, it looked like a hard fought, close game against one of the top conf USA women's teams.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby August » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:17 pm

PonyPride wrote:Well, right — I wasn't suggesting that a good performance should affect postseason possibilities. Just responding to the original post:

Of course. Sorry if I overreacted. I'm just sick of the excuses that have been constantly thrown out there over the last three seasons instead of calling it like it is; Winning counts. Losing doesn't. No matter how much effort is expended, or how young we are or how many exclamation points are used in some posts - we have to win.

I feel so badly for the 4 remaining players who were recruited by JC who thought they were coming to play for a winning, nationally ranked program and this is what they got. It's pathetic that we are scheming to see how we can grab the last qualifying spot for CUSA tournament.
August
Junior Varsity

Postby Oldkeeper » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:43 am

Good defensive effort last night. I was expecting more of a blow out but we packed it in and made it difficult. I wouldn't say we out played UCF at any time..IMO.. UCF controlled 70-80% of the play but we had a couple of counter attack chances. If we do get in the tourney I hope it won't be like last year...barely get in then it's one and done.

BTW -does anyone else notice that there are no comments from the coach on any of the losses? Not even praise in a losing effort...only when they win.
I know my rights, man.
Oldkeeper
Scout Team

Postby newmustangfan » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:04 am

mustangbill67 wrote:If we win 2, that puts us at 16 and in good shape unless UAB beats Memphis and goes to 17 points while Marshall wins out and goes to 18. Did not look at tie breakers.

Marshall's remaining games are actually against UAB and ECU. They need a tie and a win to squeeze us out. I don't see that happening. But if they should somehow beat UAB, then UAB will have to beat Memphis to squeeze us out. That's not likely either. Regardless it hinges on us taking care of business in our last two games.
newmustangfan
Scout Team

Postby newmustangfan » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:15 am

Oldkeeper wrote:BTW -does anyone else notice that there are no comments from the coach on any of the losses? Not even praise in a losing effort...only when they win.

Where are you seeing coach's comments after wins? What are you talking about?
newmustangfan
Scout Team

Postby whodat09 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:53 am

Oldkeeper wrote:UCF controlled 70-80% of the play but we had a couple of counter attack chances.

I saw it different. Very even through halftime. But then UCF attack starting taking shape in second half.
whodat09

Return to Other Sports