PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Sunday's SMU-Kentucky Men's Soccer Match Postponed

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby PonyPride » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:36 pm

Makeup Scheduled For Nov. 4

Oct. 23, 2009

LEXINGTON, Ky. - Due to several Kentucky men's soccer student-athletes displaying flu-like symptoms, the match between SMU and Kentucky, slated for Sunday, October 25 at 12 p.m. in Lexington, has been postponed and will be rescheduled to November 4, it was announced Friday afternoon.

SMU (6-6-1, 2-2-1 C-USA) is coming off a 3-2 victory over No. 16 Tulsa on Wednesday night. Ryan Rosenbaum scored on a 95-yard goal during the game.

SMU's next contest is at Westcott Field against UCF on October 31 at 7 p.m. The match against Kentucky is the last regular season road game for the Mustangs.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Sunday's SMU-Kentucky Men's Soccer Match Postponed

Postby PonyPride » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:47 pm

Woe is me!

For the record, this is ridiculous. Kentucky has 35 PLAYERS ON ITS ROSTER, meaning the Wildcats could sit out several players and still have a bigger roster than the Mustangs have (29) on theirs. Had the same players all rolled an ankle in practice, would the game have been postponed? Of course not. Did the SMU/East Carolina football game get postponed when some ECU guys got sick? No.

Moreover, SMU beat a good Memphis team recently when FIVE STARTERS missed the game with injuries.

This is not a natural disaster that made the field unplayable, and this isn't a malfunction with the plane that made travel impossible. It's a flu — play through it, like any other injury or illness. If not, play your backups (which, at a school like Kentucky, are going to be good players, anyway).

Kentucky has nearly three dozen players on its roster. Use them.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride

Postby August » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:01 pm

PonyPride wrote: For the record, this is ridiculous.

I couldn't agree more. We're talkin' the flu, not some flesh-eating virus. Sack up and put a team on the field. Next thing you know, we'll be delaying games for ingrown toe nails. I can't believe our AD agreed to this postponement.
Don't confuse me with the facts; I've made up my mind.
August
Junior Varsity

Postby Ikus » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:58 pm

I wonder if it's the swine flu. If so, I'm sure it sucks, but this is still total B.S.

Tim Tebow and several other members of the Florida team had a flu (maybe swine flu) a few weeks ago. Florida took precautions to keep those players away from the rest of the team, and played with who they had (including Tebow, who toughed it out).

This is just weak. I don't know if our AD agreed to this, or is even aware. Wouldn't this be a decision made by the CUSA office? I expect they could just hand down a ruling, couldn't they? My guess is that they view Kentucky as one of their elite teams and one of the league's best hopes for NCAA Tournament success. If that's how things transpired, the conference should be embarrassed.
Ikus
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:24 pm

The only thing I can think of is that there was some indication is was swine flu and our team didn't want to catch it and then have a problem of their own down the road. But generally, giving a delay to a team because they are missing a few players is pretty lame especially when its at THEIR pitch.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby indianmustang » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:50 pm

did play the play the match today
Mustang from India
indianmustang

Return to Other Sports