PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Women win 4-0

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Women win 4-0

Postby mustangbill67 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:42 pm

SMU women's soccer beat S. Miss today 4-0. The current standings with one game to play are:

UCF, Memphis, UTEP and CO College have all qualifed for the 6 team tournament.

Playing for the two remaining spots are:

Marshall 15 (E. Carolina)
UAB 14 (Memphis)
SMU 13 (Tulsa)
Tulsa 12 (SMU)

Rice, East C., Houston and S. Miss have been eliminated.

SMU must win and hope either Marshall or UAB loses or UAB ties. I have not looked up the tie breakers if SMU ends up tied for the sixth spot with either Marshall or UAB, which is also a possibility. This would happen if SMU wins, UAB wins and Marshall ties or Marshall wins, UAB loses and SMU ties Tulsa.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: Women win 4-0

Postby newmustangfan » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:40 pm

Nice win today! UAB's game Thursday night against Memphis is in Memphis. A Memphis win (or tie) gives them second place and a first round bye in the tournament. So this game is very meaningful to Memphis. Surely they won't let it slip away. Ponies must not take Tulsa lightly. They clobbered Marshall 4-1 and played Memphis and UCF tough.
newmustangfan
Scout Team

Postby SMUFan » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:52 pm

Nice win.
Could have played without a goalie today, because Southern Miss never really got close enough to see our goal, much less shoot at it.
SMUFan
All-American

Postby Oldkeeper » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:06 am

If my math is right, if we beat Tulsa we are in and if they beat us they are in. Needless to say it's an important game.
I know my rights, man.
Oldkeeper
Scout Team

Postby mustangbill67 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:41 am

Oldkeeper wrote:If my math is right, if we beat Tulsa we are in and if they beat us they are in. Needless to say it's an important game.

What kind of math are you using to reach that conclusion? See my original post in this thread. There are two teams ahead of both SMU and Tulsa for the final two playoff spots. If both win this weekend, SMU and Tulsa are out.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Oldkeeper » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:21 am

You are correct. Marshall and UAB are ahead. Here's my logic. I don't anticipate UAB beating Memphis, Marshall should beat E. Carolina. Therefore, whichever team wins our game will go through. But it is a funny game and a program like ours should not be in this position to begin with.
I know my rights, man.
Oldkeeper
Scout Team

Postby pony717 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:30 am

Oldkeeper wrote:But it is a funny game and a program like ours should not be in this position to begin with.

I think the solution is to score more goals and give up fewer.
pony717
Recruit

Return to Other Sports