PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

women's soccer

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: women's soccer

Postby pony717 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:51 pm

Here's another old post speculating on the reasons for Cossaboon's departure:

by PernuaPosse » Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:57 pm

I think it was a combinaton of things. Rumor is that he did not like all of the responsiblities of being a head coach (mainly the beurocractic aspects) plus I think there was a lot of tension between the girls and him. Some of his actions and with that reactions during the season may have put him at odds with Orsini.
pony717
Recruit

Postby August » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:20 pm

Well, Marshall lost 1-0 so we backed our way into the tourney. We'll see how that goes.

But 717, I'm curious why you're bringing up JC - is it to make us all pine for the days when we were conference champs, never worrying about whether or not we got a seat at the table?
Don't confuse me with the facts; I've made up my mind.
August
Junior Varsity

Postby mustangbill67 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:25 pm

I would not say we "backed" into the tournament. We finished sixth in a 11 team conference, which qualified us for the tournament. We finished strong to put ourselves in a position for a conference berth.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby August » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:27 pm

To my way of thinking, finishing strong would mean we were in charge of our own destiny, which we weren't.
August
Junior Varsity

Postby ponytony » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:28 pm

Interesting, august, that you consider winning 4 of their last 6 "backing in." At times you pretend to support the team, but remarks like that make it clear that you want this team to fail. Next time, try a ittle harder to conceal your disappointment with the great soccer the team has been playing lately.
ponytony
Recruit

Postby August » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:31 pm

PonyTony, we still needed Marshall to lose. Yes, we have played well the last few games but if Marshall had won tonight, it all would have been for naught.
August
Junior Varsity

Postby pony717 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:38 pm

Oh, I see... so if Marshall had played their game on Thursday and our game had been tonight, then we would NOT have backed in. I think your IQ is no higher than redponies.
pony717
Recruit

Postby pony717 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:44 pm

August wrote:But 717, I'm curious why you're bringing up JC - is it to make us all pine for the days when we were conference champs, never worrying about whether or not we got a seat at the table?

Not at all. A couple of you do plenty of that without my help. I bring up Cossaboon to remind you and anyone else who wasn't there that things were not as great as you would have them think. There are reasons why he is gone and many people are glad of it.

Here's another one post about Cossaboon:

by Bergermeister » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:49 pm

The guy is a total and absolute JERK... ask the players. I'm certain he did not fit the overall image Orsini has in mind for S.M.U. athletics.
pony717
Recruit

Postby mustangbill67 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:44 pm

It was a tight race for the fifth and sixth spots. Again we finished out our schedule strong. Other teams did not. A deserved tourney berth. I assume we play the 3rd place team Wednesday. This will be either Memphis, CO College or UTEP depending on tonights results.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby RealSMUfan » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:53 pm

If we finish 6th I imagine we will play the 1st place team
RealSMUfan
Recruit

Postby newmustangfan » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:55 pm

Marshall went from 1st place to losing 5 of their last 6.
newmustangfan
Scout Team

Postby mustangbill67 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:05 pm

RealSMUfan wrote:If we finish 6th I imagine we will play the 1st place team

There are 6 teams in the tournament. I believe the teams in 1st and 2nd get a first round bye into the semi-finals. That would mean 3 plays 6 and 4 plays 5 in the quarterfinals.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby August » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:10 pm

pony717 wrote:Oh, I see... so if Marshall had played their game on Thursday and our game had been tonight, then we would NOT have backed in. I think your IQ is no higher than redponies.

I find it so amusing that you always need to resort to personal attacks like questioning my IQ because I disagree with you.

But even if Marshall had played last night or Wednesday, the fact is that we needed another team to lose in order to get a spot. That's a fact that no amount of your attempted insults will change.
Am I happy about that? Of course not. And to answer another of your posts - do I think JC was a 'nice' person? Probably not, but the man could coach. After all, it's not popularity contest; it's about winning. Often and consistently.
August
Junior Varsity

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:21 pm

How unfair to say we "backed our way into the tournament"!

Everybody plays the same number of games and whoever has the most points makes it.

It's not our fault their final conference game was scheduled after ours.

If they would have lost on Wednesday and we won on Thursday you would say we "won our way into the tournament"!

We have the points and we earned it!

Hopefully we will be healthy.

Go Ponies!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby pony717 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:31 pm

August wrote:After all, it's not popularity contest; it's about winning. Often and consistently.

Well, let's see...

UT Longhorns went from #8 in the nation last year to 8-8-3 this year. I guess Chris Petrocelli should be fired.

Texas Tech went winless in their last six games. I guess Tom Stone should be fired.

Baylor had another dismal season. I guess Marci Jobson should be fired.

TCU went from 14-4-2 last year to 8-8 this year. I guess Dan Abdalla should be fired.

Unlike the above four teams, the Mustangs are in their conference tournament.

Congratulations Ponies!!
pony717
Recruit

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports