PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

NCAA Update: A&M drops Memphis, 3-1

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

NCAA Update: A&M drops Memphis, 3-1

Postby August » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:55 pm

Didn't see the game but fairly even stats. Someone here posted that A&M had a bad season but they still got 3 GA the team that schooled us 6-2. Anybody have more details?
Don't confuse me with the facts; I've made up my mind.
August
Junior Varsity

Re: NCAA Update: A&M drops Memphis, 3-1

Postby RealSMUfan » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:29 pm

A&M lost lots of players (big time players) at the beginning of the season to injury. They started or played lots of underclassman. The results....they lost to OU for the first time in school history....ended up 3rd (I believe) in the Big 12 standings....but maintained their national ranking and lost to OSU in the Big 12 Tournament final. They beat some top ranked teams USC, Portland....played UNC very close. They are playing well right now and could go pretty far! It is all about getting hot at the right time.
RealSMUfan
Recruit

Postby August » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:58 pm

Sounds like the coach got a lot out of a team of very young players and improved as the season progressed. Nice.
August
Junior Varsity

Postby pony717 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:01 pm

August wrote:Sounds like the coach got a lot out of a team of very young players and improved as the season progressed. Nice.

Guerrieri? That's funny.

A&M returned a veteran roster including Rachel Shipley and Whitney Hooper. The freshmen they added included the #2 player in the nation according to Top Drawer Soccer (a forward), plus another outstanding forward from Austin.

Nice job getting getting some good soccer out of the #2 player in the nation, Coach G!
pony717
Recruit

Postby August » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:04 pm

pony717 wrote:Guerrieri? That's funny.

A&M returned a veteran roster including Rachel Shipley and Whitney Hooper. The freshmen they added included the #2 player in the nation according to Top Drawer Soccer (a forward), plus another outstanding forward from Austin.

Nice job getting getting some good soccer out of the #2 player in the nation, Coach G!

Why so bitter? I was responding initially to something RealSMUfan said in a post about A&M not having a good year and yet their coach wasn't getting fired and neither should Brent. I haven't been following them at all but noticed they beat Memphis so asked a question.

Since you appear to dislike them, I guess you're not going to be happy to know that they've moved on into the Sweet 16, beating LSU in PKs.
August
Junior Varsity

Postby RealSMUfan » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:41 pm

I was responding initially to something RealSMUfan said in a post about A&M not having a good year and yet their coach wasn't getting fired and neither should Brent.

But according to you....if you don't live up the past teams you should be fired. According to A&M standards "winning the Big 12"....."going undefeated in the Big 12"......."not losing to OU".....they did not accomplish these goals this year. Yet their fans still support them. :shock:
RealSMUfan
Recruit

Postby PonyTales » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:16 pm

Guerreri somehow is a great recruiter - his teams are as talented as any in the country - but he's a horrible coach. His assistants carry him, in terms of strategy and game management, etc. He's lucky to have a decent staff supporting him.
PonyTales
Heisman

Return to Other Sports