PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU signs eight rowers

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU signs eight rowers

Postby PonyPride » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:31 pm

Rowing Signs Eight Athletes During Fall Signing Period

Nov. 19, 2009

DALLAS (SMU) - The SMU women's rowing team signed eight athletes to national letters of intent during the fall signing period.

"I am very pleased with the results of our recruiting efforts. Kudos to Coaches Hooper and McLean, they did a great job identifying these talented athletes and furthermore, fueling their interest and ultimately their desire to contribute to the SMU Mustang Rowing team, while receiving an unparalleled education," head coach Doug Wright stated. "When talented recruits see the level of commitment and desire to win by our current team members, they immediately want to be a part of that. I am glad to see what is happening within our program and I am excited to see each of our classes working together to elevate our entire team's speed from year to year."

Maggie Jones - Saint Anthony's HS - Mt. Sinai, N.Y. - Coxswain A coxswain who will be majoring in Education and Psychology has made three Head of the Charles regatta coxing men and women. She possesses the ability to command her crew not only in voice but through stern leadership which will become an asset to the Mustang Rowing.

Coach Wright on Maggie: Maggie is a great cox with a lot of valuable experience. She has a fire that is fueled by competition and we look forward to having Maggie help lead our crews in practice sessions and on race day.

Megan May - Xavier Preparatory - Scottsdale, Ariz. A 5-9, pre-dental major, May stroked her varsity 8 since her sophomore year and won the State Championships this past May. She finished second at the 2009 Head of the Lake.

Coach Wright on Megan: Megan brings a lot of sweep rowing experience and a very successful racing resume. She is a great student, which tells us a lot about her work ethic. We look forward to Megan's contributions to the team and the experience she brings to the table.

Emily McCombs - The Hockaday School - Dallas, Texas Planning to study Sports Management, this 5-7 athlete placed fourth at USRA Youth National Championships in the Lightweight double. At Marathon (26.2miles) race in Natchitoches, LA in her sophomore year, McCombs won the double, and in her junior year, she repeated and broke her previous record.

Coach Wright on Emily: Emily has a silent but strong demeanor about her. She is very business like at practice and on the race course. Her strong sense of concentration as well as her very successful sculling career will bring a welcome element to our program.

Courtaney Miller - Jenks High School - Tulsa, Okla. This 5-10 Tulsa Junior rower plans on majoring in Business. A crossover athlete from swimming her two strong events include the breast stroke and back stroke. She has consistently made the state championship the last three years in these events. Miller has easily made the transition to rowing and has excelled in her new sport.

Coach Wright on Courtaney: Courtaney Miller is a racer, pure and simple. Her multi-faceted athletic resume says lot about Courtaney's competitive spirit. In addition to her competitive drive is raw talent. This combination will help Courtaney make immediate contributions to our speed.

Samantha Peltier - Dulles High School - Sugarland, Texas This 6-0 sculler from the Greater Houston Rowing club will be majoring in Business. She currently races in both the quad and double, often racing up with the masters in her club.

Coach Wright on Samantha: I am excited about Sam's experience in the sculling events. She has become a very talented sculler and we look forward to building on that experience in a larger team environment.

Colleen Costello - University School of Milwaukee - Fox Point, Wisc. This 5'10 starboard Rower from the Milwaukee Rowing Club intends to major in Business or economics. Colleen was part of the Milwaukee Rowing Club's Jr. 8+ that finished third at the 2008 Canadian Henley as well as member of the Club's junior 8+ finishing eight at the Head of the Charles and fifth overall at U.S. Club Nationals the same year.

Coach Wright on Colleen: Colleen comes from a formidable club program that instills competitive toughness and a serious racing mindset. She is no exception to this culture and will do well at SMU to help us to reach closer to our competitive goals. She is a well accomplished rower whose experience will contribute greatly.

Georgia MacDonald - Tauranga Girls College - Tauranga, Komai, New Zealand This 5-9 rower/sculler from New Zealand has been racing since age 13. She has rowed for her interprovincial team winning many events. She has multiple North Island titles and in 2007 Georgia was a key member of the 4x that won the New Zealand Championships. She holds two New Zealand records and currently holds the World record in the women's U14 shortcourse.

Coach Wright on Georgia: We are really excited about Georgia. She has a wealth of racing experience and a genuine love for competition. With all of Georgia's accomplishments through her years of experience, and her overwhelming desire to both train and race to the highest level possible, she will without a doubt, have an immediate impact on our speed.

Ahian Sian Jenkins - Tauranga Girls College - Bay of Plenty, New Zealand This 5-7 sculler and sweep rower is undecided on a major.

Coach Wright on Ahian: Ahian is a seriously passionate rower/sculler with more experience racing than many rowers twice her age. She rows as technically well as anyone I have seen and will make an immediate impact on our crew's speed. Her experience includes 2 New Zealand national titles in the Quad and Double. Ahian loves to row and really needs that in her daily life to complete her day. I look forward to seeing the positive impact that kind of mindset will have on our program.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: SMU signs eight rowers

Postby mrydel » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:22 pm

This thread about eight rowers should not be confused with row eighters of section 104 which include Mestengo, Mustangbill67 et ux, Arkpony et ux, myself, and several others who have signed for season tickets to football.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby mustangbill67 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:05 pm

Actually all of row 8 including the many et ux's is pretty hardcore. Wish we had many more like it.
As to rowing, impressive class.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony_Fan » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:09 am

I don't know how Title IX works. Can we get rid of rowing to get men's track & field back.
Why do we have rowing and equestrian?
Pony_Fan

Postby mrydel » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:27 pm

Pony_Fan wrote:I don't know how Title IX works. Can we get rid of rowing to get men's track & field back.

Because you can lead a horse to water but you cannot make him row.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby ponyscott » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:19 am

mrydel wrote:
Pony_Fan wrote:I don't know how Title IX works. Can we get rid of rowing to get men's track & field back.

Because you can lead a horse to water but you cannot make him row.

LOL....
ponyscott

Return to Other Sports