PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Tim McClements

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Tim McClements

Postby EastStang » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:49 am

He might be national coach of the year with the turnaround this year. As for how far we go in the tourney, that's always a dice roll. Refs put their whistles in their pockets in the tourney and injuries become a factor. I remember our final four run when we met Maryland in the semi-finals. They flat out manhandled us. Our smaller faster skill players were simply knocked to the pitch. Maryland had a great team that year, but skill yields to thuggery in the tourney. Look back at our tourney losses under Schellas. UCSB - no real skill, just physicality. St. John's - fouled with impunity. Also there are a ton of 1-0 games and luck has a lot to do with 1-0 games. So, making the tourney is great and any wins in the tourney are gravy.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyPride » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:13 pm

I disagree, at least a little, about the past tournaments. St. John's came in like a bunch of linebackers and physically beat the Mustangs around, but UCSB — which went on to win the national championship the year it beat SMU — had some exceptionally skilled players. The Gauchos played more physically than we did, especially the midfielder who marked Bruno Guarda right out of the game, but they had some very talented players, too.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride

Postby Fijistang » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:14 am

Another great hire by Steve O!
Fijistang
Scout Team

Postby ponyscott » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:24 am

PonyPride wrote:I disagree, at least a little, about the past tournaments. St. John's came in like a bunch of linebackers and physically beat the Mustangs around, but UCSB — which went on to win the national championship the year it beat SMU — had some exceptionally skilled players. The Gauchos played more physically than we did, especially the midfielder who marked Bruno Guarda right out of the game, but they had some very talented players, too.

I went to that St Johns game and think that they were alot of Jamaicans that played for them and they were huge guys ( the football team would have loved to have had some of those guys)and also looked older than the Stangs.
ponyscott

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:00 pm

in the last couple of years at least, SMU soccer seems to have struggled against big physical teams. I saw the game in Columbia a couple of years ago and SC had a big physical bunch that put it on us that day
Charleston Pony

Previous

Return to Other Sports