PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Volleyball Achieves Historic Win Over Houston, 3-2

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Volleyball Achieves Historic Win Over Houston, 3-2

Postby Webmaster » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:38 am

Lisa Seifert and the Mustangs reach a record single-season record 24th win

Nov. 19, 2010

SMU-Houston Box Score

DALLAS (SMU) --- The SMU volleyball team recorded its 24th win of the season, a program record, with a 3-2 (25-19, 21-25, 22-25, 25-8, 15-8) win over Houston on Friday evening. Senior Kathryn Wilkerson led the Mustangs with 22 kills on only four errors, compiling a .360 hitting percentage.

"I'm just extremely proud of this team," said SMU head coach Lisa Seifert, who has led the Mustangs since the program's first season in 1996. "This win means a lot to me and it means a lot to the team. The way that we came back, from behind, was truly special."

Today's win advances the Mustangs past Seifert's 2003 team, which finished the season 23-7. SMU is now 24-5 on the year and 16-2 in Conference USA action.

SMU fell behind, 2-1, after the first three sets, but came back to win the fourth set, 25-8 (the greatest set margin victory this season for the Mustangs). In the deciding fifth set, the Ponies took advantage of an early-game lead and won 15-8.

"The resiliency, composure and physical stamina of this team is unmatched," said Seifert. "I'm incredible proud of this group from top-to-bottom."

Wilkerson's 22 kills marks a career-high for the senior. She also totaled 17 digs to tally her 19th double-double this season. Teammate Dana Powell also recorded a double-double finishing with 17 kills and 10 digs.

Sidney Stewart led a Mustang defense that held the Cougars (19-11, 13-5 C-USA) to a .110 hitting percentage. The junior libero had a match-high 33 digs.

The Mustangs return to the court for senior day on Sunday to face C-USA foe Rice at 12 p.m. Caitlin Adair, Kenzie Bukolt and Kathryn Wilkerson will be honored for their contributions to SMU volleyball.
"Rhett Lashlee not only has the top G5 transfer class, it’s one of the best classes in the country, period.”
–– Chris Vannini, The Athletic

Thanks for supporting PonyFans.com. If you have any problems or concerns, please e-mail us at webmaster@ponyfans.com
Webmaster
Heisman

Re: Volleyball Achieves Historic Win Over Houston, 3-2

Postby ponyvb99 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:53 pm

How 'Bout Them Mustangs!
ponyvb99

Re: Volleyball Achieves Historic Win Over Houston, 3-2

Postby mathman » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:29 pm

Great job ladies!!!
When will I start feeling stimulated??
mathman
Heisman