PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

JOSUE SOTO: Growing back home

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

JOSUE SOTO: Growing back home

Postby PonyPride » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:20 pm

Growing back home
SMU star heads to Houston to start professional career

SMU midfielder Josue Soto realized two dreams Wednesday — pursuing a professional soccer career and playing in his hometown of Houston — when he signed with Major League Soccer’s Houston Dynamo after the club exercised its right to claim Soto under the league’s “home-grown player” rule.

Soto, who spent his first two college seasons at Campbell (N.C.) University, trained during the summer of 2008 and 2010 with the team’s Dynamo Academy (he missed the summer of 2009 because of a stress fracture in his shin). He is the fourth “home-grown” player in team history, and the first to sign after completing four years of college soccer.

“It means a lot to go back to Houston,” Soto said. “My brother lives there. I love the city, I love the club, I love the fans. Since signing with the Academy — this is a goal I have had for years. I’m happy I could achieve it.”

Soto is one of four 2010 SMU seniors to head to MLS. Defender Leone Cruz was drafted last week in the second round by the Seattle Sounders, while midfielder Kekoa Osorio and goalkeeper Craig Hill were chosen by FC Dallas (and head coach Schellas Hyndman, who recruited them to SMU as the Mustangs’ head coach) in the league’s Supplemental Draft.

The Mustangs’ third-leading goal-scorer in 2010 (with seven) and leader in assists (also with seven), Soto has the benefit of joining a team whose coaches he already knows.

“(Head coach) Dominic Kinnear has got a history of developing young players, so I’m excited to work with him again,” Soto said. “On the field, he’s very intense, but off the field, he’s a great guy.”

The versatile Soto filled a number of roles for the Mustangs; likewise, he said the Houston coaches have not yet discussed how they plan to use him.

“We didn’t discuss my role, since I’m not part of the team,” he said of his initial conversations with the Dynamo coaching staff. “I assume they’ll try me at different positions until they see where I fit best.”

SMU head coach Tim McClements said Houston is an ideal place for Soto to begin his professional career.

“Josue has been a great ambassador for SMU and the men’s soccer team,” McClements said. “We’re extremely excited for Josue and his family. Josue has been a great player for us for two years after transferring in from Campbell. He’s a very technical player, is very aware tactically and was a really big part of our success this year. The fact that Houston's getting him and already knows his qualities — they know his strengths and weaknesses — it’s a good fit.”

Soto called his chance with the Dynamo his biggest individual accomplishment, but said his greatest joy will be because he’ll get the chance to play in front of family; his parents still live in Mexico, but his brother, Daniel, lives in Houston.

“They’re happy, because they have been a big part of what I have done in soccer,” he said. “I used to do ODP (Olympic Development Pool), and they would drive me hours to get to tournaments in Houston, Austin or San Antonio, or even just for training sessions. I know how much time and money they spent helping me pursue my dream of playing soccer.”

Soto admitted that there were times he doubted his chances of making it to the professional level, especially after his junior season, when he was sidelined with a stress fracture in his shin.

“That was a low point,” he said. “I didn’t know if Houston would want me back after I got hurt. But they did, and they confirmed it in the fall at SMU. That’s when I started getting my hopes up again.”

For now, Soto’s focus is on making the team (he reports to Houston next week for a physical and training camp).

“It’s just exciting,” he said. “I have wanted this for a long time. Now the chance is there. I’m glad I went to their (the Dynamo’s) academy, because they knew me as a person and as a player. I've been with the team for the past three summers, training with them. It will definitely help me transition to the next level and to locker room. It’s not going to be a new environment for me.

“The first summer I was there I was shy; I was sitting in corner, very quiet, and not talking to anyone. Now, I’m just going to be one more guy in the locker room.”
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: JOSUE SOTO: Growing back home

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:26 pm

Great for Josue. He had a great career at SMU and I hope everything works out for him in MLS.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: JOSUE SOTO: Growing back home

Postby Lefty » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:12 am

Looks like I'll be going to my first Dynamo games next year.
Congratulations, Josue.
Lefty
All-American

Return to Other Sports