PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Sean Kiracofe Joins SMU Volleyball Coaching Staff

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby PonyPride » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:45 pm

From SMUMustangs.com:

Former SMU assistant returns to the Hilltop

March 16, 2011

DALLAS (SMU) - Sean Kiracofe will join the SMU volleyball staff as an assistant coach, head coach Lisa Seifert announced Wednesday. He will assist with the day-to-day operations including practice and recruiting, while managing the team's equipment and travel budgets.

"Sean is a versatile coach who can train any position, but he will primarily oversee the development of our middle blockers and team blocking. Sean is not only a good coach, but he is a great human being who will have a positive impact on our student-athletes both on and off the court," Seifert stated. "I think the athletes will enjoy his teaching style. He has been on the hilltop with us before and understands our systems and general philosophies. Needless to say, we are very happy to have him back and look forward to the impact he will have on the future success of our program."

Kiracofe has 11 years of collegiate coaching experience, including five seasons at SMU with Seifert from 2003 until 2008. The Austin, Texas native began his coaching career at Texas Tech, working camps of different age groups. He then spent three years with the Austin Metro Volleyball Club before receiving his first full-time collegiate position as an assistant at the University of Texas at El Paso.

After his stint at UTEP, Kiracofe joined SMU in 2003. During his tenure, the Mustangs posted an 83-67 record, competing in the Western Athletic Conference before moving to Conference USA in 2005. After leaving SMU in 2008, he spent two seasons at Montana State and one season at UNLV before returning to the Hilltop.

"It is a tremendous honor to come back to the Hilltop," Kiracofe explained. "I feel that I played a role in helping this program become the successful team it is today. SMU reached new heights during my absence, and I couldn't be more excited to be a part of Coach Seifert's staff once again to help propel this program to compete for conference championships on a year in and year out basis. This is an opportunity to come home to family and friends, and I cannot think of a more productive and happier working environment than that."

As a player, Kiracofe competed in the Junior Olympics five straight times in the early `90s, and became the first male from Texas to be named to Volleyball Monthly's FAB 50 in 1994. He was a four-year starter and two-time team captain as a middle blocker for Texas Tech's club team. He led the team to Top 25 rankings in both 1998 and 1999. Kiracofe earned a degree in political science with a minor in history from Texas Tech in 1999.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Sean Kiracofe Joins SMU Volleyball Coaching Staff

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:55 pm

Fantastic. I was just looking at the SMU athletic department directory today and noticed there were some coaching vacancies. The volleyball opening was somewhat concerning to me.

I'm glad to see the school step up and fill the opening for the volleyball team. I think the team is poised for a major breakthrough, and the full coaching staff certainly will help.

Go Ponies!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Other Sports