PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Even UT can't afford a new swimming complex

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Even UT can't afford a new swimming complex

Postby RE Tycoon » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:22 pm

I found this interesting since their athletic program has more money and resources than any other program in the country...

http://www.statesman.com/sports/longhor ... 35530.html

One project that has yet to get off the ground is an outdoor pool for the men's and women's swimming teams. Those squads have combined for 19 of the 48 national team championships claimed by Texas.

Although it has been 20 years since the women last won a national crown, Eddie Reese's men's team picked up its 10th NCAA title in 2010 and just missed another this year, finishing second to the University of California .

Plans for an outdoor pool have been kicked around for at least 20 years. Although technology has advanced to the point where above-ground steel pools are a viable and less expensive alternative to traditional pools, Dodds said an outdoor pool is a ways off — and might never happen.

Dodds said fundraising for the project was difficult, and he also cited concerns about the health of men's swimming nationally.

"We're monitoring it," Dodds said. "A lot of institutions are dropping it."
#NewLobCity
RE Tycoon
Hall of Famer

Re: Even UT can't afford a new swimming complex

Postby Water Pony » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:58 pm

They want an 'outdoor' pool, which is a nice to have (we have one for training only in warm weather, i.e. A.R. Barr Pool . Our challenge is an actually having an indoor competitive, long course pool for recruiting, training and competing. UT Indoor Competive facility is quite good (and used for major national competitions), which doesn't need replacment.
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby pwnyxpress » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:06 pm

I remember when UT built their complex. From that moment on our long streak of SWC championships in swimming ended. :(
pwnyxpress
All-American

Postby Bergermeister » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:50 pm

pwnyxpress wrote:I remember when UT built their complex. From that moment on our long streak of SWC championships in swimming ended. :(

That was a long, l-o-n-g streak, too. You're right, it was the new UT complex that blew us away.
Bergermeister

Postby Casey » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:53 pm

Have you ever set foot inside that ridiculous megaplex of a natatorium they have? They have a warm tub for the divers that is about as big as Perkins Natatorium.

They don't need a new pool. SMU does.
Once a Mustang, ALWAYS a Mustang!
Casey
All-American

Postby mrydel » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:21 pm

I think the most telling statement was the Texas AD wondering if they might drop swimming. I would think that Title 9 does not have to be balanced by adding new sports for women. It can be accomplished by dropping sports for men, as we did with track. I hope swimming is never near the cut list, but who knows.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby DallasDiehard » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:43 am

CoxMustangFan wrote:If you're a supporter of the swim program I would think you would feel encouraged by the recent $$ dedicated for projects. I could be wrong, but with Moody $$ (and hopefully the IPF, soon), swimming has to be hearing the top of the list.

I get the idea that football and basketball come first. But when the Moody project is done, Orsini can not ignore the rest of the sports.

I realize the indoor practice facility sits atop most people's wish lists. But after that, my order of preference would be:

• New natatorium
• A track suitable for hosting events. Dave Wollman and his staff have run a first-rate program for years with facilities that would make most high school coaches laugh, or maybe cry. (This isn't even addressing the obvious need to bring back track which would ... HELP FOOTBALL.)
• Finish out Westcott Field, starting with real seats, running water, etc., and more (and higher) lights, so the corners of the field don't fade into the dark during night games.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby Water Pony » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:44 pm

Thanks for the acknowledgements. Though my priorities are similar, the need for a new natatorium is well established and the lack of a new facility has resulted in swimming & diving losing its position as a Top Ten program. Having worked on the issues, the capital costs are significant and, as a result, it is easy to push it down the list. I wish I was more optimistic. :(
Pony Up
Water Pony

Return to Other Sports