PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Men's golf coach Jay Loar fired

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Men's golf coach Jay Loar fired

Postby newshound » Sat May 28, 2011 2:14 am

http://www.golfweek.com/news/2011/may/24/loar-wont-be-retained-smu-mens-coach/

After 13 seasons as the head men’s coach at Southern Methodist, Jay Loar learned May 22 that his current contract, which expires May 31, will not be renewed.

Loar said when he returned home to the Dallas area with his Mustangs team after finishing sixth – two strokes out of fifth place that would have earned a spot in the NCAA finals – at the NCAA West Regional, he had a voicemail from SMU athletics director Steve Orsini. Loar returned the call and was informed that he would not be returning to coach the team.

“I really thought he was calling to congratulate me and the team about the way we played at regionals and how we hung in there and almost knocked out Texas for a spot in the finals,” Loar told Golfweek. “Instead, he told me he had decided to go in another direction with men’s golf. I was pretty shocked, to say the least.”
newshound
Junior Varsity

Re: Men's golf coach Jay Loar fired

Postby One Trick Pony » Sat May 28, 2011 7:00 am

I don't have one 6th place trophy.
BTW almost never counts.
One Trick Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby buckwheat » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:53 pm

Word is SMU alum Josh Gregory (current Augusta St Coach & 2010 NCAA Champs) has been offered & accepted the job. Official announcement should come after the NCAA's at Karsten Creek this week.
buckwheat
Junior Varsity

Postby NavyCrimson » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:15 pm

BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Return to Other Sports