PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Women's Soccer - SMU vs. UCLA (Time Change!)

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Women's Soccer - SMU vs. UCLA (Time Change!)

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:50 pm

Starting this one a little early - because it is a big game, but also to make sure everybody is aware of the actual game time.

The UCLA web site lists the start time as 5pm Pacific Time, while the SMU web site lists the start time as 9pm Central Time.

I would be inclined to go with the UCLA time, which means the game time is actually 7pm Central Time in case anybody is starting to plan their Friday night around the big SMU game. I also assume the team and traveling party knows the game is at 5pm LA time. :)

UCLA is off to a 4-0-1 start. This will be a huge game for SMU to say the least. Hopefully we will show up and play like we know we can play.
Last edited by DanFreibergerForHeisman on Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Women's Soccer - SMU vs. UCLA

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:00 pm

UCLA was ranked No. 6 last week - it will be interesting to see if they move up in the polls tomorrow.

Even though UCLA is 4-0-1, they haven't exactly been lighting up the scoresheet. The Bruins only have 8 goals in their 5 games, although they have also only allowed 2 goals against in those five games. To be fair, they have also played No. 8 Florida and No. 24 Pepperdine.

Obviously, the main focus of the UCLA attack is Sydney Leroux. She has 3 goals this season and has has already racked up 25 shots - 13 of which have been on goal! Limiting her chances will be a huge task for Kaitlyn Eidson and Katherine Cox Friday.

It will also be hard to ignore New Zealand international Rosie White, who has scored once this year and amassed 6 shots on goal so far this season.

As a team UCLA has 103 shots (45 on goal) in their five games while only allowing 46 shots against. The SMU defense will definitely need to step up for this one.
Last edited by DanFreibergerForHeisman on Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:05 pm

One humorous point - we may create some confusion for other fans with two Courtneys and two Shelbys, but UCLA has three Chelseas!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:32 pm

Here is the UCLA schedule:

http://www.uclabruins.com/sports/w-soccer/sched/ucla-w-soccer-sched.html

For those hoping to watch a stream, it appears UCLA only offers an audio feed and a gametracker (at least the audio appears to be free).
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:59 am

I'm sure it is coincidence but the schedule on the SMU website has been updated to reflect the 7pm Central start time.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby August » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:42 am

UCLA has some problem with their main field. Their game against Rutgers was moved so I assume that's the reason for the timing change. Originally our game this Friday was scheduled for 9pm Central. New coach and graduations of some key players for UCLA should make this an interesting match.
Don't confuse me with the facts; I've made up my mind.
August
Junior Varsity

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:23 am

August wrote:UCLA has some problem with their main field. Their game against Rutgers was moved so I assume that's the reason for the timing change. Originally our game this Friday was scheduled for 9pm Central. New coach and graduations of some key players for UCLA should make this an interesting match.

Thanks for the info. I saw they moved their Rutgers game but wasn't aware it was because of field problems. I imagine that also explains the apparent lack of a video stream.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby NewSMOOFan » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:38 am

August wrote:UCLA has some problem with their main field. Their game against Rutgers was moved so I assume that's the reason for the timing change. Originally our game this Friday was scheduled for 9pm Central. New coach and graduations of some key players for UCLA should make this an interesting match.

Well if you know about the problems with their field I'm sure you are also aware that replacing "key players" won't be an issue for them. Coach Ellis used her position as the U20 National Team coach to recruit well. UCLA had the #1 recruiting class in the nation last year landing 10 players with EXTENSIVE national team experience and 1 player with Regional ODP experience. Five of those players were their state's Gatorade Player of the Year and four were Parade All Americans. The new Head Coach was actually the assistant coach there and moved up after Ellis left so not a huge learning curve for him. But yes, it will be an interesting match.
NewSMOOFan

Postby mathman » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:57 pm

NewSMOOFan wrote:

Well if you know about the problems with their field I'm sure you are also aware that replacing "key players" won't be an issue for them. Coach Ellis used her position as the U20 National Team coach to recruit well. UCLA had the #1 recruiting class in the nation last year landing 10 players with EXTENSIVE national team experience and 1 player with Regional ODP experience. Five of those players were their state's Gatorade Player of the Year and four were Parade All Americans. The new Head Coach was actually the assistant coach there and moved up after Ellis left so not a huge learning curve for him. But yes, it will be an interesting match.

Goodness. Sound a little touchy. I am sure you have wonderful players. Hope it is a well played game by both sides.
Go Ponies
When will I start feeling stimulated??
mathman
Heisman

Postby NewSMOOFan » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:08 pm

mathman wrote:Goodness. Sound a little touchy. I am sure you have wonderful players. Hope it is a well played game by both sides. Go Ponies

Sorry, didn’t mean to come across as “touchy.” I just found it humorous that someone who is obviously plugged into the program mentions key graduations and a new coach, but fails to mention what is arguably the best recruiting class of all time in the women’s game. I didn’t want anyone left with the impression that UCLA is vulnerable. They have an embarrassment of riches and it will be a big test for the Ponies. Go Ponies!
NewSMOOFan

Postby August » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:37 pm

NewSMOOFan wrote:
mathman wrote:Goodness. Sound a little touchy. I am sure you have wonderful players. Hope it is a well played game by both sides. Go Ponies

Sorry, didn’t mean to come across as “touchy.” I just found it humorous that someone who is obviously plugged into the program mentions key graduations and a new coach, but fails to mention what is arguably the best recruiting class of all time in the women’s game. I didn’t want anyone left with the impression that UCLA is vulnerable. They have an embarrassment of riches and it will be a big test for the Ponies. Go Ponies!

Just posting some info that is easily found on various boards. Sorry that using the word 'interesting' set you off. Feel free to substitute the word of your choice if that makes you happy. To my way of thinking, anytime an unranked team plays a top ten (and on their field), that's an "interesting" match.

And DanF, I would suspect that you are exactly correct on the video feed. I hadn't noticed that but if they had to substitute fields, it would make sense that the cameras might not be available. That's disappointing for sure.
Don't confuse me with the facts; I've made up my mind.
August
Junior Varsity

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:15 pm

I have no idea what is going on at Drake Stadium - but I just checked the Loyola Marymount website to check out their women's team in anticipation of our Sunday match - and the lead story was about their men's game with UCLA this Sunday being moved to the North Athletic Field at UCLA like they did with their matches last week.

I would guess there is a decent chance the games maybe be shuffled a bit Friday considering they have a home women's and a home men's match scheduled. So, if you want to follow our women's match it might be a good idea to keep your eye on the SMU women's soccer facebook and/or twitter to get the latest information.

There is no official information on the UCLA website about any game changes for this weekend.

Update - St. Mary's men play at UCLA Friday and the SMC website now says their men's game is 4:30 Friday.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:29 am

Now the UCLA website says our women's game is at 7pm (Pacific) at Drake. :)
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Re: Women's Soccer - SMU vs. UCLA (Time Change!)

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:11 pm

It's official, UCLA has confirmed the women's game will be played at 7pm Pacific (9pm Central) Friday:

http://www.uclabruins.com/sports/w-soccer/spec-rel/090811aaa.html

Times/Location Moved For UCLA Soccer Games This Weekend
Men's team will play at North Athletic Field

Sept. 8, 2011

Los Angeles, Calif. - UCLA has announced game time and location changes for this weekend's men's and women's soccer games.

The UCLA men's soccer team will play both of its games this weekend at the North Athletic Field, adjacent to Drake Stadium. The game times have been moved for both games. Friday's game vs. Saint Mary's has been moved to 4:30 pm and Sunday's game vs. Loyola Marymount will be played at 4:30 pm as well.

The women's soccer team will play both games at Drake Stadium, but the game time for Friday's game vs. SMU has been moved to 7 pm. Sunday's game vs. Fresno State will be played as scheduled at 7 pm.

The North Athletic Field is located off Sunset Blvd. and Westwood Plaza, behind the John Wooden Center and above the Lot 4 parking structure.

A free live audio broadcast and Gametracker live stats will be available for the women's games on uclabruins.com. Fans not in attendance for the men's games can get updates via Twitter at @UCLAGameday.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Re: Women's Soccer - SMU vs. UCLA (Time Change!)

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:32 am

The UCLA preview:

http://www.uclabruins.com/sports/w-soccer/spec-rel/090811aae.html

which includes a link to a video their team made for this weekend's games:

http://www.uclabruins.com/allaccess/?media=262898

Man, after watching that video I think these girls are overconfident and ripe for a big upset tonight! :)
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Next

Return to Other Sports