PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Soccer Recruiting

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Soccer Recruiting

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:29 pm

The best online source is topdrawersoccer.com.

It's not a very logically-organized website, but the SMU pages are here:

Women: http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/college-soccer/college-soccer-details/women/smu/clgid-96

Men: http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/college-soccer/college-soccer-details/men/smu/clgid-409

They have national and state recruiting rankings, and there is a commitments tab on the team pages to track who is committed.

They also have their own weekly rankings which are based on forecasting the NCAA Tournament fields which is kind of interesting to follow and this year they entered into an agreement with the NSCAA to be the "official" college soccer score website. There is a ton of stuff there but like I said it's tough to find what you are looking for sometimes.

Soccer recruiting is a nasty beast with high school players committing as early as their sophomore or junior year. For instance, SMU already has a women's commit who won't be in college until the 2014 class! There are apparently a lot of unwritten rules among the coaches as well and obviously a TON of club soccer politics too. I don't claim to be anywhere close to an expert.

If others have better info on how to track recruiting I would certainly be interested as well...
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:43 pm

CoxMustangFan wrote:
DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:Soccer recruiting is a nasty beast

Thanks! I'm finding it hard to follow, too. Given the importance of soccer to SMU I'm trying to follow it, but it seems messy...

It's a shame they don't have a good web designer because everything you want to know is there - you just can't find it!

They keep Top 100 lists for the current class and the next year's class for both women and men - but to look at the schools each player is interested in takes three or four clicks and it gets frustrating in a hurry. I would love to be able to follow our recruiting better as well.

You really don't know anything for sure until the SMU soccer SIDs issue the SMU press releases after signing day - and even then there are always some players who don't show up and others who are added and others who transfer in right up to the opening of camp each August.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby NewSMOOFan » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:22 pm

CoxMustangFan wrote:Hey soccer gurus, how does one follow college soccer recruiting? How are both teams doing?

For women in addition to Top Drawer the following website is very good. Better to check both sites because neither is 100%:

http://sites.google.com/site/soccerrecruits/

The person who manages the website updates it every few days. If you scroll to the bottom you can sort several ways.
NewSMOOFan

Return to Other Sports