PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

VIDEO: Brent Erwin after SMU's 1-0 win over No. 19 UCF

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

VIDEO: Brent Erwin after SMU's 1-0 win over No. 19 UCF

Postby PonyPride » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:00 pm

SMU women's soccer head coach Brent Erwin talked with PonyFans.com after his team shut out 19th-ranked UCF at Westcott Field.

Enjoy!

Webmasters
PonyFans.com

PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: VIDEO: Brent Erwin after SMU's 1-0 win over No. 19 UCF

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:09 pm

Fantastic interview. Thanks!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby PonyPride » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:22 pm

From SMUMustangs.com:

SMU Downs No. 19 UCF, 1-0
Mustangs earn first win over ranked opponent since 2002

Sept. 23, 2011

DALLAS (SMU) – In the Conference USA opener, the SMU women’s soccer team upset No. 19 UCF 1-0 tonight at Westcott Field, earning the program’s first win over a ranked opponent since November 15, 2002. The win moves the Mustangs to 5-4-0 on the season, while the Knights drop to 5-2-2.

After the match was nearly a stalemate for just over an hour, the Mustangs capitalized on a UCF foul, 25 yards from the Knights’ goal. Sophomore Courtney Smith sent a low liner into the box that Kaitlyn Eidson got a foot onto, redirecting the shot past UCF goalkeeper Aline Reis. The goal was the senior’s first of the season.

Despite being outshot 13-5 by UCF, many Knight attempts coming late in the game, SMU came up with the one that mattered most. Aided by a strong performance from the backline, senior goalkeeper Courtney Webb had stellar night, recording five saves and earning her third shutout of the season.

SMU will be back in action Sunday as the team hosts Southern Miss (3-4-3, 0-0-1). Kickoff is set for 2 p.m. at Westcott Field.

Season tickets are $24. Individual game tickets are $6 for adults and $3 for children 12 and under. Blocks of 50 or more tickets are $1 apiece. Tickets can be purchased online at SMUMustangs.com or by calling 214-SMU-GAME (214-768-4263).
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:31 pm

Assuming there isn't some sort of meltdown Sunday, if Webb or Eidson don't get C-USA defensive player of the week this week there should be an investigation!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby giacfsp » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:31 am

Usually goes to goalkeepers. Defenders don't have the stats to sell to the conference office.
Hopefully Webb gets it. She was terrific Friday.
giacfsp
Heisman

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:46 am

giacfsp wrote:Usually goes to goalkeepers. Defenders don't have the stats to sell to the conference office.
Hopefully Webb gets it. She was terrific Friday.

True about defenders - a big part of Eidson being preseason all-conference is her goal total from last season. However, with the goal Friday she has a lot better shot this week. I am pretty sure the awards are given based solely on SID recommendations, but I would imagine the win over UCF would have the conference looking a bit closer at SMU players this week.

Of course, if we go out and give up 2 (or probably even 1) this afternoon none of this matters anyway.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Hey June » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:40 am

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:... I am pretty sure the awards are given based solely on SID recommendations, but I would imagine the win over UCF would have the conference looking a bit closer at SMU players this week...

I thought someone said the SIDs nominate candidates (presumably based on conversations with their coaches) but the decision is made within the C-USA office.

Anyone know if I'm right on this?
Hey June
Scout Team

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:49 am

Hey June wrote:
DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:... I am pretty sure the awards are given based solely on SID recommendations, but I would imagine the win over UCF would have the conference looking a bit closer at SMU players this week...

I thought someone said the SIDs nominate candidates (presumably based on conversations with their coaches) but the decision is made within the C-USA office.

Anyone know if I'm right on this?

Yes I believe that is correct. I'm sure the league office doesn't watch all of the games - which means they wouldn't see some of the amazing plays Eidson made on defense Friday night. It's all stats, unfortunately.

I would be very surprised if our SID did not nominate both Eidson and Webb for defensive player of the week this week. The awards are announced on Mondays.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Return to Other Sports