PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Men's Soccer - SMU vs. Kentucky

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Men's Soccer - SMU vs. Kentucky

Postby gk00dad » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:14 pm

giacfsp wrote:What? How many guys travel? Did we have any subs left at the end?

18-20 travel. Barnes and Kalis don't play the same position. Freshman Kumeh covered for Kalis and has been playing well all year. Engel and Hill filled in for Barnes. Guys get hurt and this time of year, nobody is 100%. There is enough quality on this team to play through injuries. Time to suck it up and get on with it. No excuses.
gk00dad
Junior Varsity

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:15 am

SMU really does need to step it up. TopDrawer dropped us from their Tournament 48 forecast this week. We were at No. 8 last week!

C-USA representation:

21 - UCF
24 - UAB
25 - Memphis
37 - South Carolina

We will find out tomorrow how bad the two losses this week hurt our RPI. I would think the RPI will still be good enough to get us in the tournament but not if we lose Friday and go out early in the conference tournament.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:56 am

CoxMustangFan wrote:
DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:SMU really does need to step it up. TopDrawer dropped us from their Tournament 48 forecast this week. We were at No. 8 last week!

C-USA representation:

21 - UCF
24 - UAB
25 - Memphis
37 - South Carolina

We will find out tomorrow how bad the two losses this week hurt our RPI. I would think the RPI will still be good enough to get us in the tournament but not if we lose Friday and go out early in the conference tournament.

It's amazing this team can go from what #5 in the country to not even making the tourny. Wow.

Our RPI only dropped to 20 this week, so we still should be in decent shape to make the tournament with a strong finish to the season. We are still ranked No. 5 in the region as well.

We definitely need to win Friday and at least a game or two in the C-USA tournament to make sure though. I do imagine we have no shot at a bye and we also might have blown our chance at a home game unfortunately.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby gk00dad » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:22 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:
CoxMustangFan wrote:
DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:SMU really does need to step it up. TopDrawer dropped us from their Tournament 48 forecast this week. We were at No. 8 last week!

C-USA representation:

21 - UCF
24 - UAB
25 - Memphis
37 - South Carolina

It's amazing this team can go from what #5 in the country to not even making the tourny. Wow.

Our RPI only dropped to 20 this week, so we still should be in decent shape to make the tournament with a strong finish to the season. We are still ranked No. 5 in the region as well.

We definitely need to win Friday and at least a game or two in the C-USA tournament to make sure though. I do imagine we have no shot at a bye and we also might have blown our chance at a home game unfortunately.

The good news is the conference has had a strong showing this year. The bad news even with that and a decent RPI, we will probably have to at least get to the championship game or play a 1-0 overtime loss in the semi final to make the big dance. The conference losses have really put us in a hole this year and that's too bad, because we really played a strong non conference schedule that would have kept us in the top ten. My bigger concern though is that if we don't make the tourney this year, there will be changes that will shake up the program and set the team back again.
gk00dad
Junior Varsity

Postby Hoofprint » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:52 am

What makes you think there would be such changes? A year ago the men's team was 16-2-2. Don't you think that if we fall short (which I don't think we will, but you might well know more about the process than I do), Steve-O would allow a year to get back to where we were last year? The guys have had a slew of injuries this year, which has to factor for something. I don't think Steve-O would make a change, but let's eliminate all doubt and win some postseason games.
Hoofprint
All-American

Postby gk00dad » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:24 pm

Hoofprint wrote:What makes you think there would be such changes? A year ago the men's team was 16-2-2. Don't you think that if we fall short (which I don't think we will, but you might well know more about the process than I do), Steve-O would allow a year to get back to where we were last year? The guys have had a slew of injuries this year, which has to factor for something. I don't think Steve-O would make a change, but let's eliminate all doubt and win some postseason games.

Last year was a coaching for your job year. Injuries aside, one would have to believe that with the influx of talent this year and returning talent from last year, this is coaching for your job part two. I hope it isn't because this team needs stability more than anything from the coaching ranks since no one other than Adam is imposing their will as a leader in the squad. This team is also top heavy in seniors with only two juniors so I'm concerned with who is going to step up and take charge. Last year you had the last of Schellas' players. They fell back on what they knew from their peers and pushed the squad. The only thing that changed this year is that those four players are gone. The results speak volumes.
gk00dad
Junior Varsity

Previous

Return to Other Sports