PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

New Pool??

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

New Pool??

Postby Digetydog » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:25 pm

I saw on another board that the school had made some investments in the swim teams. Have we finally built (or raised funds for) a new 50 meter natatorium?
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: New Pool??

Postby mustangbill67 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:46 pm

If anyone would know, it would be Pocono Pony.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMUguy » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:37 pm

If there are any coaches on campus who deserve a new facility, it's Coach Collins, Sinnott and Stillson, who have done more with less than any coaches on campus. Last I heard, though (more than a year ago, so things might have changed), efforts to raise money had produced little or no results. Helping non-revenue sports ranks up there with root canal on Orsini's wish list, so if a new natatorium is built, I assume it's going to have to be with money raised entirely by swimming alumni.

I hope you're right, DigetyDog. We just won the CUSA title (men and women) with that prehistoric facility to practice in. They deserve a facility built in the last century.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby mrydel » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:09 pm

mustangbill67 wrote:If anyone would know, it would be Pocono Pony.

Or waterpony. But they have long said the donations are at a point where there is a need for the one big donor such as David Miller did for basketball. I have seen or heard nothing in relation to a big time donor for swimming.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mustangbill67 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:29 pm

mrydel wrote:
mustangbill67 wrote:If anyone would know, it would be Pocono Pony.

Or waterpony. But they have long said the donations are at a point where there is a need for the one big donor such as David Miller did for basketball. I have seen or heard nothing in relation to a big time donor for swimming.

That is what I heard last fall. Everything is in place but a major donor needs to step forward to get the project going.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PoconoPony » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:06 pm

Could not figure out how to delete this post which was a double tap of my response below.
Last edited by PoconoPony on Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PoconoPony » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:06 pm

The fund raising effort to build a new natatorium complex was headed up by former SMU swim and Swimming Hall of Fame coach George McMillion. Athletic Department and later SMU fund raising personnel were also involved, but they have proved to be ineffective. Coach Mac, as everyone calls him, made a huge effort in 2008 to raise the money through pledges primarily from former swimmers and interested supporters. Great architectural plans were drawn up by former SMU swimmer and renown Dallas area architect Jody Grant. At that time the project had an estimated cost of $ 19,000,000. Preliminary oral pledges were received approximating $ 15,000,000 demonstrating that the project was viable in the time just prior to the economy going into the tank. Formal written pledges were subsequently requested/required and by that time several of the big supporters had to back off on their initial pledges because of the bad economy thereby reducing the formally pledged amount to roughly $11,000,000. Turner indicated that the project could commence, but only if 80% of the costs were in formal pledges to be collected within a 5 year period and set a time table of 1 year to meet the financial requirements. Unfortunately, a lead donor was not located, the deadline passed and all formal pledges were released from their obligation.

Coach Mac subsequently receive assurances from most of those who had pledged to continue their committment to the project leaving most of the $11,000,000 still on the table. Considerable discussion has continued with Orsini and Turner, both still on board, with assistance from Athletic Department and later SMU fund raising personnel to find a lead donor. After 3 years no lead donor has been identified as of this date. Coach Mac informed Orsini and Turner last fall that based on age and health limitations he could only continue to give the project his best shot through 2012. Coach Mac suffered some severe health set backs 3 weeks ago, has been confined to a hospital and it appears that he will not have the health to continue the project in any further manner. Turner obviously has access to potential lead donors; however, has reserved those potential donors for other priority projects. Botttom line is that the project is badly needed, appears to have slipped away just when it was within grasp, only lip service support has been received from the Athletic Departmnent/SMU and Coach Mac will not be able to lead the fleeting effort. Without a lead donor, no lead by the Athletic Department and no successor for Coach Mac the project seems doomed at this time.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mathman » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:48 am

Hate to hear that about Coach Mac. Such a wonderful man. He sits right in front of me at the football games and he never misses a one. People stop by all during the game just to say hello to him he always remembers their names and what events they were in. Hope to see him at the next game. Wish him well if you talk to him.
When will I start feeling stimulated??
mathman
Heisman

Postby Pony4Life » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:33 pm

I have never met Coach Mac, but have friends who do and absolutely think the world of him. Here's hoping his health improves quickly.

Steve-O needs to do the right thing and take some of the Big East money, build a first-class facility and name it after Coach Mac.
Fountain of youth
Giver of truth
Six parts gin
One part vermouth
Pony4Life
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:17 pm

Coach Mac was cool. I loved how he would divide the team by 3 and send one-third to A&M, one-third to UH and 1/3 to Rice at the same time and win all three meets, just to get them out of the way.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Other Sports