PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Olympic Sports

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Olympic Sports

Postby AusTxPony » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:44 pm

How do our Other Sports stack up against New Big East competition? Any chance for Championship in 2013? Which sports team will win the FIRST NBE title? I say Women's Swim/Dive.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Re: Olympic Sports

Postby mustangbill67 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:02 am

SO said recently that overall SMU was in the top third of Big East sports although at the bottom in M & W basketball. I think we will be able to compete well in our non rev sports but with tougher competition. Hopefully, our recruiting in these sports will be enhanced by the move.
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby EastStang » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:21 am

Soccer will be competitive certainly. Does the BE have men's and women's swimming? If not, we'll have to figure out where those go? W track and CC should continue to do well. Tennis and Golf have been Nationally ranked for us and we play a National schedule already in those sports, I gotta figure we'll do well in those. Equestrian, Sailing, who knows? I would not be surprised to see us add another womens sport like lacrosse which is a big sport in the BE with Rutgers, Villanova, ND and Georgetown.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Water Pony » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:34 am

BE has Men's Swimming at the remaining schools of ND, Louisville, UConn, Seton Hall and G'town. Women's teams also include Cincinnati, Rutgers and Villanova. ND and Louisville are strong nationally. More competitive than CUSA and our Women would give ND a run for Championship. Our Men's team would be in the mix. However, a major conference, BE, needs to have schools with competitive facilities and, as we all know, SMU does not. :oops:
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby Water Pony » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:36 am

Also, the first new Women's sport should be Lacrosse, a BE strength and a good brand for SMU to have the first Div. 1 team in the SW. One day, a Men's team might be possible, but I would return Men's Track and Field / Cross Country first.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby alyssa » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:27 am

Well, in athletics (T&F)(XC), the men can't compete without a team and the women are weak. The Big East has strong women's running. There are women over 40 who run times faster than SMU's women runners.
There's a lot of work to do to bring up the running teams. I hope it happens.

I can remember 2 years ago one of the SMU runners running a 5K as a workout. She finished about 50 seconds behind the elite over 40 year old woman. The SMU girl was tired after the 5K and was done. The masters woman had a 2 minutes recovery and took off on another fast 5K.

Title IX makes it hard for a lot of programs to create depth in men's athletics. Liberty's Coach Josh McDougal talks about that broken system in an article I read recently. He said that the NCAA is doing a poor job in fairness to non football playing male athletes. I believe it was in huxleyrunningco.org.

I want strong athletics programs since that is my sport.
alyssa
All-American

Postby fifty » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:29 pm

Be nice Alyssa. Womens XC has won the conference championship 3 out of the last 4 years. Sheesh.
fifty
Heisman

Postby PoconoPony » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:50 pm

Water Pony wrote:Also, the first new Women's sport should be Lacrosse, a BE strength and a good brand for SMU to have the first Div. 1 team in the SW. One day, a Men's team might be possible, but I would return Men's Track and Field / Cross Country first.

Big problem of LAX is availability of facilities. Ford Stadium is the only field available and that would conflict with football spring training and mess up the logos on the field and cause wear spots in the center of the field and end zones.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangbill67 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:43 pm

I heard that the new IPF and a new outdoor practice facility will be where Westcott field is currently locaated. A new soccer facility will be built on the current outdoor football practice field. Would it be feasible to have LAX and soccer share the new soccer facility?
mustangbill67
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ClassOf81 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:35 pm

EastStang wrote:Soccer will be competitive certainly. Does the BE have men's and women's swimming? If not, we'll have to figure out where those go? W track and CC should continue to do well. Tennis and Golf have been Nationally ranked for us and we play a National schedule already in those sports, I gotta figure we'll do well in those. Equestrian, Sailing, who knows? I would not be surprised to see us add another womens sport like lacrosse which is a big sport in the BE with Rutgers, Villanova, ND and Georgetown.

Men's soccer will be competitive.
ClassOf81
Heisman

Postby AusTxPony » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:48 pm

SMU scored higher (#16) than any of the NBE Women's Swim/Dive teams at the NCAA meet, so we should be in the top 2 or 3 in NBE.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby Knapp87 » Fri May 25, 2012 5:18 am

AusTxPony wrote:How do our Other Sports stack up against New Big East competition? Any chance for Championship in 2013? Which sports team will win the FIRST NBE title? I say Women's Swim/Dive.

that's what i think too.
I am really looking forward to it, even though i am actually into tennis
Knapp87

Return to Other Sports