PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

W Soccer - Coaching Speculation

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: W Soccer - Coaching Speculation

Postby August » Tue May 15, 2012 11:54 am

smusic 00 wrote:Former SMU assistant Stewart Brown from Highland Park. State Champ...
Stewart lobbied hard for the job after JC left but didn't get much traction. In hindsight I suspect SO had already made up his mind to move Brent in but don't know for certain.
Don't confuse me with the facts; I've made up my mind.
August
Junior Varsity

Postby ClassOf81 » Tue May 15, 2012 1:55 pm

Not a bad choice at all, but isn't it safe to assume Orsini will want more of a "name" (at the college level) coach?
ClassOf81
Heisman

Postby PonyLurker » Tue May 15, 2012 4:53 pm

I have heard rumors that it will be Chris Petrucelli, formerly of UT
PonyLurker

Postby August » Tue May 15, 2012 5:38 pm

PonyLurker wrote:I have heard rumors that it will be Chris Petrucelli, formerly of UT

His contract was not renewed after several years of underperforming teams, while ND continued to do well after he left. We really need someone who knows how to get the most from their players now, not some nebulous time in the future, and certainly not someone booted by UT. Another knock on him was that he couldn't recruit in Texas.
August
Junior Varsity

Postby August » Tue May 15, 2012 6:51 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:I don't remember if they announced an Erwin camp this summer but there isn't anything on the SMU site about it now.

Camp info is up - Brent Erwin's SMU Girls Soccer Academy - but he's still listed as the Women's HC so either it's old info or SO is letting him keep camp for another summer. http://www.smusoccercamp.com/index.php/register
August
Junior Varsity

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Tue May 15, 2012 9:48 pm

August wrote:It seems our AD moves rather slowly during these searches so we'll just have to be patient and keep hope alive.

As frustrating as it is to not know, I wonder if we are at a point where it is actually a good thing if this drags on for a while.

If somebody big wants to come to SMU but doesn't want to jeopardize his/her already planned camp we very well might not know the new coach until well into the summer.

Plus, as August so eloquently pointed out SMU has already publicized an SMU Erwin camp and it's probably too late to change anything for a potential new coach.

As I have stated previously, I will continue to hold out hope Steve O realizes how crucial this hire is for the entire SMU athletic program and I will think positive thoughts until we find out the news (even if it means some sleepless nights for me).

Go Ponies!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby August » Wed May 16, 2012 10:44 am

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote: Plus, as August so eloquently pointed out ...

Hey! Are you mocking me?? :lol:

I would really hate to see them wait on this hire. In an ideal world, the team needs to get some direction from the new coach including a workout plan for the summer and assistants need to be in place. Camps usually run through mid to late July and preseason starts just a week or so later. Plus, if this new coach is currently employed, an ethical person would want to give his/her current employer enough notice to fill that spot before August.

I see your point on the camps, but if it were me, I would not wait much longer to put this together because the season will be upon us. I have such high hopes that bringing in a competent coach will allow the players to reach their full potential and enjoy a successful season. They really deserve that.
August
Junior Varsity

Postby Vitale » Wed May 16, 2012 3:14 pm

Agreed. If a new coach has been contacted and wants the job, he/she should accept it now, if for no other reason than to start talking to players about summer workouts and conditioning, and how each might be used next season. Plus, a new coach will need to assemble a staff.

Petrucelli doesn't get me fired up at all. How can you not win at Texas, where teams have more assets and resources available to them than at any school in the entire country? Based on their money, their ridiculous budget and the amount of talent available (in-state and nationwide, because let's be honest --- they can afford to recruit nationally), the Horns should HAMMER Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and the rest of the Big 12.
Vitale
All-American

Postby August » Wed May 16, 2012 5:46 pm

It would also be a shame to miss out on the summer recruiting opportunities at the many big tournaments and showcases. In terms of turning this thing around and being competitive in the BE, that would be a huge step backward.
August
Junior Varsity

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Wed May 16, 2012 6:15 pm

August wrote:It would also be a shame to miss out on the summer recruiting opportunities at the many big tournaments and showcases. In terms of turning this thing around and being competitive in the BE, that would be a huge step backward.

Definitely.

We really should do this soon for a lot of reasons, but obviously not at the expense of waiting a little bit at least if it is for the right person.

And no, of course I wasn't mocking you! :D
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Fresh » Wed May 16, 2012 11:08 pm

Orsini is waiting for Dickerson to call.
Fresh
Varsity

W Soccer - Coaching Speculation

Postby Treadway21 » Thu May 17, 2012 10:21 am

Fresh wrote:Orsini is waiting for Dickerson to call.

+1

Or for turgeon to call.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Postby PonyLurker » Thu May 17, 2012 12:32 pm

It's gonna be Petrucelli. I'm not excited about it either.
PonyLurker

Postby August » Thu May 17, 2012 1:15 pm

PonyLurker wrote:It's gonna be Petrucelli.

I sure hope you're wrong. Check this out - way too close to things we've been saying here...
http://www.shaggybevo.com/board/showthr ... ucelli-now

And just how are they going to spin his record at UT?
August
Junior Varsity

Postby August » Thu May 17, 2012 4:12 pm

Well, guess we don't have to worry about Steve O screwing up the coaching search. And we can stop holding our collective breath, too, until the new AD is in place. Always something...
August
Junior Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports