PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU to add new sports

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: SMU to add new sports

Postby SMUfrat » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:49 am

I suspect the new AD's marching orders will include executing on the BE Game Plan and ensure FB and BB progress is accelerated (plus, if he or she gets us the new Natatorium, then he/she will have walked on water.) :wink:[/quote]
I think all new sports should be on hold until the swim teams get a new pool!! Number one non-revenue priority. Forget Top 25, SMU would be top 5 most years.[/quote]

Thanks for the endorsement and, of course, I could not agree more! BTW, in the sixties, when I swam at SMU, an athlete only had three years of eligibility. In those three years, we finished 5th, 7th and 5th in the NCAA Championships.

So, Top Five in swimming & diving should be the goal. We have the tradition and a great recruiting area, including our international stars (many of whom like their US teammates, were both All-American and Olympians). And, let's not forget we now have a Women's Team, who kicks b*tt, as well.

"When we get a new Natatorium, we will return!"[/quote]

I know there is a new natatorium in the plans. Im sure we will see one in the next 6 years. But lacrosse is definitely the sport to be added.
SMUfrat
Junior Varsity

Postby SMULaxer » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:41 pm

Pay Lashlee more money
SMULaxer
Heisman

Postby SMULaxer » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:42 pm

Multiple sources tell 412 Lax that Southern Methodist will add Division 1 lacrosse today. Is it time to Pony Up?

Weeks ago, a very reliable source informed 412 that SMU would be adding D1 lacrosse on July 1st. Our source had previously informed us of coaching changes at Navy, Rutgers, and Towson weeks before those decisions has been made public last season.

Then, he told us that Coach Meade would take the Furman job, weeks prior to the announcement being made in Foxboro. But coaching assignments are one thing… Schools adding D1 lacrosse another.

But as this summer has wore on, more and more people have said SMU and D1 in the same sentence. Where there is smoke, there is very often fire.

On June 12th, 412 reached out to SMU:

Dear Southern Methodist University
412 Lax has been informed that you will add men’s lacrosse as a varsity sport on July 1st. Can you confirm this report?
Thank you

SMU denied the claim.

Pete-
SMU has no plans to add men’s lacrosse as a varsity sport. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance. Thanks.

Brad Sutton
SMU Athletics

Sutton is the associate AD at Southern Methodist University.

What will happen later today? Will our source be right again with this huge bit of information? Or will SMU’s denial win out?

How excited should we be if SMU is in fact adding D1 lacrosse?
Pay Lashlee more money
SMULaxer
Heisman

Previous

Return to Other Sports