PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU to add new sports

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: SMU to add new sports

Postby gart » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:12 pm

Any announcement would need to be at least two seaons before starting a varsity program. The camps and tournaments that going on this summer are the prime recruiting venues for D1 schools for kids graduating from high school in 2014. Some of the lower level D1, and the DII and DIII schools, will recruit this summer for 2013 graduates. Most of the identification of recruits does occur over the summer since the coaches cannot get to a lot of high school games in the spring since they busy with their own team’s seasons.

Naming a coach by late this summer would be critical to allow the coach to start getting out to some of the fall 2012 tournaments and start to recruit some of the graduates in 2014, and start tracking the 2015 graduates. Any experienced coach will already know the people still available from the 2014 class, but they would not be in college until the 2015 season. It would be critical to have the coaching staff all on-board for summer 2013 recruiting and start to bring in recruits for the 2015 season. Some transfers might be available to start upgrading the team for 2014, but 2015 would really be the first time to have a team that might be able to compete at a varsity level.
gart

Postby Boston Pony » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:36 pm

Facilitywise...most of the schools share lacrosse with other sports, which is a benefit for lacrosse. As example, Duke, Virginia, Hopkins, Syracuse, Harvard all share. They only ones that don't that I can think of is U of Denver. One assumes that if lacrosse came to SMU, Ford would be the best venue. Artifical turf is best surface for lacrosse and field use scheduling can be accommodiated for primary tenant (football) without much overlap.

On the women's side, programs can get going in a couple of years...seldom faster. U of Michigan got it's men's program up and running quickly, however their club team was run like a virtual varsity program so it was an easier ramp up.
Boston Pony
Varsity

Postby SMULaxer » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:06 pm

Boston Pony wrote:Facilitywise...most of the schools share lacrosse with other sports, which is a benefit for lacrosse. As example, Duke, Virginia, Hopkins, Syracuse, Harvard all share. They only ones that don't that I can think of is U of Denver. One assumes that if lacrosse came to SMU, Ford would be the best venue. Artifical turf is best surface for lacrosse and field use scheduling can be accommodiated for primary tenant (football) without much overlap.

On the women's side, programs can get going in a couple of years...seldom faster. U of Michigan got it's men's program up and running quickly, however their club team was run like a virtual varsity program so it was an easier ramp up.

Michigan also had the lacrosse only facilities in place which the club team sponsored.
Pay Lashlee more money
SMULaxer
Heisman

Postby SMUfrat » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:00 am

How many sports are we talking about?

Im pretty sure its LAX, mens and womens...

Any chance its baseball too? That would be really awesome...

We would need to have a baseball stadium at some point and probably a couple of practice fields... Anyone know where that would be?
SMUfrat
Junior Varsity

Postby SMULaxer » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:36 am

SMU Legacy campus in Plano
Pay Lashlee more money
SMULaxer
Heisman

Postby Boston Pony » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:40 pm

Thought that Michigan played in their indoor practice facility (Oosterbaan Fieldhouse) that is shared with many sports. That was in the club days and perhaps they have moved although I saw them on TV playing at the Big House.
Boston Pony
Varsity

Postby gostangs » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:19 pm

won't be baseball
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMULaxer » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:52 am

gostangs wrote:won't be baseball

Good. More college baseball teams = more call me maybe videos.

And the world does not need more call me maybe videos.
Pay Lashlee more money
SMULaxer
Heisman

Postby Digetydog » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:49 pm

Why would a school without an AD announce a new sport or two?
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Water Pony » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:23 pm

Digetydog wrote:Why would a school without an AD announce a new sport or two?

Because we have a game plan to be national and set the course/table for the new AD. Launching a new Varsity sports benefits from as much lead time, as we can create.

I suspect the new AD's marching orders will include executing on the BE Game Plan and ensure FB and BB progress is accelerated (plus, if he or she gets us the new Natatorium, then he/she will have walked on water.) :wink:
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby Digetydog » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:01 pm

Water Pony wrote:

Because we have a game plan to be national and set the course/table for the new AD. Launching a new Varsity sports benefits from as much lead time, as we can create.

I suspect the new AD's marching orders will include executing on the BE Game Plan and ensure FB and BB progress is accelerated (plus, if he or she gets us the new Natatorium, then he/she will have walked on water.) :wink:

I think all new sports should be on hold until the swim teams get a new pool!! Number one non-revenue priority. Forget Top 25, SMU would be top 5 most years.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Water Pony » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:36 pm

Digetydog wrote:
Water Pony wrote:

I think all new sports should be on hold until the swim teams get a new pool!! Number one non-revenue priority. Forget Top 25, SMU would be top 5 most years.

Thanks for the endorsement and, of course, I could not agree more! BTW, in the sixties, when I swam at SMU, an athlete only had three years of eligibility. In those three years, we finished 5th, 7th and 5th in the NCAA Championships.

So, Top Five in swimming & diving should be the goal. We have the tradition and a great recruiting area, including our international stars (many of whom like their US teammates, were both All-American and Olympians). And, let's not forget we now have a Women's Team, who kicks b*tt, as well.

"When we get a new Natatorium, we will return!"
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby SMULaxer » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:14 pm

Big East TV money will make a lot of things possible. Lacrosse. Pools. Spanish Teachers. You name it.
Pay Lashlee more money
SMULaxer
Heisman

Postby AusTxPony » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:21 am

I agree that the new Nat should be step one in Sports.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby SMULaxer » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:06 pm

AusTxPony wrote:I agree that the new Nat should be step one in Sports.

In the most desperate ways we need a new natatorium, but i'd be lying if I said I wasn't excited about being the first school in Texas to go D1 in lacrosse. We already draw kids from major lacrosse areas to play club lacrosse. The school is a natural draw for lacrosse players. The potential is top twenty like what Denver has been able to achieve.

One coaching name to throw out is Jamie Monro, former Denver coach.
Pay Lashlee more money
SMULaxer
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports