PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

W-Soccer: SMU at TCU

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

W-Soccer: SMU at TCU

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:53 pm

The Mustangs are in Ft. Worth Friday night for a huge game against TCU at 7pm.

This is the only match for SMU this weekend, so after dropping two last weekend the Mustangs will certainly give everything to get a win in this one.

Beyond really needing a win Friday, there are a lot of interesting subplots in this one. Both teams are transitioning to big time women's soccer conferences. Both teams have significantly invested in upgrading their coaching staffs. Plus, TCU now has the former top coach from the Dallas Texans as an assistant - which could alter local recruiting in many ways.

And, of course, the obvious bragging rights for a lot of players who have grown up playing together.

SMU beat TCU handily this spring, but a lot has changed since then. Hopefully, we can have a great turnout for this one. TCU will certainly do all they can to have a big crowd.

SMU preview:
http://www.smumustangs.com/sports/w-soccer/spec-rel/090512aae.html

Chris Petrucelli's new column (with a lot of interesting stuff about this past weekend):
http://www.smumustangs.com/sports/w-soccer/spec-rel/090512aaf.html

Go Ponies!!!!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: W-Soccer: SMU at TCU

Postby August » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:21 pm

Thanks for sharing the link. I found these few sentences to be such a snapshot of what is happening in our women's program.

Petrucelli:We had a very prickly video session Saturday morning. I was clear in pointing out the difference between effort and lack of effort in the match. Video doesn't lie. It's hard to argue when you see it for yourself. Our team handled it well. They want to win. They showed they are willing to change behaviors in order to be successful./end

This is what a good coach does - respect your players, show your team where they were weak, give instruction and then offer praise when improvement is shown. What a concept.

I think it's important to get some perspective on the first few games of what is hopefully a long and illustrious Petrucelli tenure here. We lost a major portion of the defense to graduation, we have a talented but previously tentative offense who have struggled to score and a new coach who came in just a few weeks before preseason. To add to that, our preseason hasn't been a cakewalk: Virginia is currently the NSCAA 7th ranked team, Missouri is 13th, SDSU is 20th but the take away is much better than our W-L record would indicate.

All things considered I am pretty darn happy with where we are right now. We have a very talented team which is a united group working their butts off for their new coach. This coach has bonded with the players and they couldn't be happier with him and his coaching style - he 'gets it' and knows how to coach/manage a successful women's soccer program. If you're new to this forum or not too familiar with the last five years, the culture change cannot be overstated. This guy is empowering his players and I think we are going to see some very good soccer this season. I know we are going to see a team playing their hearts out. Should be fun!
Don't confuse me with the facts; I've made up my mind.
August
Junior Varsity

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:00 pm

August wrote:I found these few sentences to be such a snapshot of what is happening in our women's program.

Petrucelli:We had a very prickly video session Saturday morning. I was clear in pointing out the difference between effort and lack of effort in the match. Video doesn't lie. It's hard to argue when you see it for yourself. Our team handled it well. They want to win. They showed they are willing to change behaviors in order to be successful./end

Thanks for your insight, August.

I was actually discussing that exact portion of his column just last night with somebody. I just love his openness and his no-BS attitude. It's good to know the team does as well.

This next run of games (at TCU, at Baylor, Oklahoma) to finish out the non-conference portion of the schedule will really lay the foundation for what is possible this season. Hopefully, the team learned their lesson in the New Mexico game.

This team has been fascinating to watch this year. SMU fans still need to keep in mind CP has only been able to work with them for five weeks.

I am really hoping for a good result Friday night! Go Ponies!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:41 pm

SMU: Bodden; Smith, Bartol, Larson, Lewis; Clarke, Baum, Robinson; Elliott, Redman, Scovill
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:21 pm

20 minutes in still 0-0. No shots in the game yet, but SMU with a lot of possession so far.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:38 pm

SMU starting to take it to TCU. One ball saved off the line and an then a point blank save on a shot by Redman.

Still 0-0 though.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:48 pm

0-0 HT.

Shots 6-3 for SMU and shots on goal 3-1 for SMU.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:23 pm

At the hour mark. SMU is a ton better than TCU tonight but it's still 0-0.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:28 pm

1-0 SMU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kenzie Scovill with a diving header at the near post directly off a corner from Courtney Smith!
Last edited by DanFreibergerForHeisman on Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:32 pm

Ponies just had a great chance to go up 2-0 but got too fancy...
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:34 pm

SMU starting to put it on TCU. Two great chances on back-to-back corners.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:39 pm

TCU evens it up a 1-1 on a penalty with 12 minutes left.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:53 pm

SHELBY REDMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From about 40 yards with 2 seconds left catches the TCU keeper off her line! Absolutely beautiful shot! Stunning.

FINAL SMU 2 TCU 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:55 pm

Final stats:

Shots - SMU 17, TCU 5
Shots on goal - SMU 8, TCU 3
Corners - SMU 9, TCU 2

I can't wait to hear what CP has to say about this one!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:03 pm

Obviously a fair result even though two of the three goals in the game were a bit on the crazy side.

SMU absolutely dominated most of the second half and the stats show it. TCU finally got into our end after about 30 minutes, and had a few minutes of the run of play which led to the penalty. We took somebody down with her back to the goal just barely inside the 18 - it certainly wan't a blatant penalty at all.

SMU was able to get control of the game back and put the pressure on in the final minute or two and Redman was (thankfully) aware the clock was about out so she went for it. I'm sure it will be on youtube soon.

Great job to the team and let's go get Baylor next Friday!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Next

Return to Other Sports