PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Why doesn't SMU have a baseball team?

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Why doesn't SMU have a baseball team?

Postby SMU_Alumni11 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:29 pm

I realize this might be a topic that has been overdone and if I were a multi-millionaire this wouldn't be an issue. I'm just curious why we have so many random sports rather than the most traditional sport baseball. I hate that cougar high and rice both have one.

Is it a funding thing? Baseball hate thing? What is it?

I'll admit that the only sports I care about is baseball and football, but I just figure this wouldn't be an issue. Does anyone have answers for this great sadness?
SMU_Alumni11
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: Why doesn't SMU have a baseball team?

Postby Junior » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:38 pm

Same reason we don't have a men's track team.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:40 pm

Junior wrote:Same reason we don't have a men's track team.

Men's track would help football.

Baseball would be a waste of space and aluminum bats.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby SMU_Alumni11 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:32 pm

How dare you baseball is the most renown American sport. Lol. Whether you disagree, consider all big boy college football teams seem to have a baseball team.
SMU_Alumni11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby couch 'em » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:16 pm

Don't you get enough baseball from the nonstop baseball chatter on the ticket?
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby SMU_Alumni11 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:25 pm

Never enough and I enjoy watching college baseball games but unfortunately my alma mater doesn't have one fortunately I have the rangers phew. Fortunately (for now) SMU has football otherwise I would have no smu team to cheer for
SMU_Alumni11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby bubba pony » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:12 am

Title IX
bubba pony
Heisman

Postby Digetydog » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:26 am

Junior wrote:Same reason we don't have a men's track team.

That is not entirely true. While Title IX is a factor, the school has never really wanted to commit the space to build a stadium or the money to fund a non-revenue sport.

Unless some rich alum comes up with the money to fully fund a baseball and softball team (Title IX), I dont' see baseball at SMU anytime soon.

Ignoring the rumors about LAX, I see the number one funding priorities (non-revenue sports) as a new natatorium and a men's track team.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU_Alumni11 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:53 pm

What does title title IX (gender crap?) have to do with enabling a past time sport? I understand the funding problem but I wish they could build one... Rather than Lacrosse or natatorium related stuff... Ugh

I wanted to add title IX is absolutely stupid especially to enforce on small PRIVATE schools. This if you have this then you must have this is this social liberal garbage that causes budgets to burst. If we have the money make a softball team, I don't care but it shouldn't be a hindrance towards a creation of a baseball team. I would have to play for SMU but whatever.
SMU_Alumni11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby giacfsp » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:28 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:Men's track would help football.

Baseball would be a waste of space and aluminum bats.

You're right on all counts.

SMU_Alumni11 wrote:How dare you baseball is the most renown American sport. Lol. Whether you disagree, consider all big boy college football teams seem to have a baseball team.

Which is irrelevant, although not inaccurate.

couch 'em wrote:Don't you get enough baseball from the nonstop baseball chatter on the ticket?

Yet another reason to never listen to that station unless it's for an SMU road game.
giacfsp
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:09 pm

Hey, if you have a spare $50-100 Million and can raise funds for a stadium, SMU will be glad to start baseball along with 1.5 women's sports. That's about what it would take.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Water Pony » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:11 pm

SMU_Alumni11 wrote:What does title title IX (gender crap?) have to do with enabling a past time sport? I understand the funding problem but I wish they could build one... Rather than Lacrosse or natatorium related stuff... Ugh

I wanted to add title IX is absolutely stupid especially to enforce on small PRIVATE schools. This if you have this then you must have this is this social liberal garbage that causes budgets to burst. If we have the money make a softball team, I don't care but it shouldn't be a hindrance towards a creation of a baseball team. I would have to play for SMU but whatever.

I am tempted to ignore this post, but I have to respond. After football, swimming has the second most active SMU alums partipating in the SMU community with Trustees, Mustang Club, Lettermen, etc. (numerically, more than any sport except football), as well as the addition of women swimmers and divers, since I graduated. Although I enjoy baseball, we were never was a SWC powerhouse or have a deep tradition like Track & Field and swimming. As for LAX, it makes more sense as we join BE. Candidlly, throughout the US, LAX is emerging as the hot, new sport for Men and Women.

So, I would add Men's T&F first (complimenting FB), build a competitve natatorium for a sport where we have traditionally excelled and become the first DIv. 1 Texas LAX univeristy before brining back baseball and adding softball with their associated challenge of where to locate and build two new stadiums for each.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby couch 'em » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:18 pm

SMU_Alumni11 wrote:What does title title IX (gender crap?) have to do with enabling a past time sport? I understand the funding problem but I wish they could build one... Rather than Lacrosse or natatorium related stuff... Ugh

Just curious, what degree did you graduate with at SMU?

Title IX doesn't apply to private universities..... unless they take federal money
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby fifty » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:37 pm

We need to add something. Swimming, track, IPF, anything...

I guess there is too much other construction on campus right now and any new sports or sport facilities will have to be phase 2 (aka mid/late 2013) but I would think just adding track team would be easy. +10 scholarships and maybe 1 more coach. Easy, right?
fifty
Heisman

Postby Digetydog » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:52 pm

fifty wrote:We need to add something. Swimming, track, IPF, anything...

I guess there is too much other construction on campus right now and any new sports or sport facilities will have to be phase 2 (aka mid/late 2013) but I would think just adding track team would be easy. +10 scholarships and maybe 1 more coach. Easy, right?

Men's track is the easiest to add b/c the facilities are in place. Plus, many of the coaches from the men's team are still on campus (that is how we got Margus to SMU). But, we would need to add more opportunities for female athletes.

IMHO - we would be better off not adding ANY sports until all of our existing sports are funded to the point that they can be excellent. In particular, the swim teams need a new pool.

With a new pool, SMU would be a national power in 4 years - it is as simple as that. Every 4 years, there would likely be swimmers from SMU at the Olympics.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Next

Return to Other Sports