PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Why doesn't SMU have a baseball team?

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Why doesn't SMU have a baseball team?

Postby Water Pony » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:22 am

Digetydog wrote:
fifty wrote:We need to add something. Swimming, track, IPF, anything...

I guess there is too much other construction on campus right now and any new sports or sport facilities will have to be phase 2 (aka mid/late 2013) but I would think just adding track team would be easy. +10 scholarships and maybe 1 more coach. Easy, right?

Men's track is the easiest to add b/c the facilities are in place. Plus, many of the coaches from the men's team are still on campus (that is how we got Margus to SMU). But, we would need to add more opportunities for female athletes.

IMHO - we would be better off not adding ANY sports until all of our existing sports are funded to the point that they can be excellent. In particular, the swim teams need a new pool.

With a new pool, SMU would be a national power in 4 years - it is as simple as that. Every 4 years, there would likely be swimmers from SMU at the Olympics.

In summary, your conclusion makes sense, especially funding current demands, such as a new Natatorium. Adding Men's T&F would be a plus for many reasons, including complimenting FB athletes and their need for speed.
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMU_Alumni11 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:50 pm

couch 'em wrote:
SMU_Alumni11 wrote:What does title title IX (gender crap?) have to do with enabling a past time sport? I understand the funding problem but I wish they could build one... Rather than Lacrosse or natatorium related stuff... Ugh

I wanted to add title IX is absolutely stupid especially to enforce on small PRIVATE schools. This if you have this then you must have this is this social liberal garbage that causes budgets to burst. If we have the money make a softball team, I don't care but it shouldn't be a hindrance towards a creation of a baseball team. I would have to play for SMU but whatever.

Just curious, what degree did you graduate with at SMU?

Title IX doesn't apply to private universities..... unless they take federal money

Why does degree matter? I didn't think it did, but there are a lot of federal laws that encroach on private institutions and businesses. One way I can see SMU getting lumped into it is by the funds from state and federal budgets for education, loans, etc. plus look online about IX issues with SMU...
SMU_Alumni11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Water Pony » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:28 am

Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Digetydog » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:24 pm

Water Pony wrote:SMU is responsible for IX Mandates

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/49249839/ns ... _worth_tx/

In my experience opinion, Universities should have ZERO role in trying to adjudicate Sexual Assault cases. The idea that students or faculty members are qualified in that area is idiotic.

We have police to investigate these types of cases, DA's to prosecute them, judges to preside over cases, and juries to determine what happen.

Signed,

Former criminal defense atty.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU_Alumni11 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:53 am

Since federal law does apply, what's the point being private... Private school should be able to do whatever it wants like adding baseball team without having to build another field for softball
SMU_Alumni11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Digetydog » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:13 am

SMU_Alumni11 wrote:Since federal law does apply, what's the point being private... Private school should be able to do whatever it wants like adding baseball team without having to build another field for softball

All a private school has to do is reject all Federal money and it can ignore Title ix and many other laws. The problem is that federal money includes federal grants and loans to students. Without access to that l
Money, most schools would close because students could not afford to go.

Hillsdale College in Michigan did opt out. It's wiki entry is very interesting.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU_Alumni11 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:47 pm

Yeah it's disgusting how federal govt uses these helpful aids to students as a way to manipulate private schools, loans etc should be done through separate entity. That way students get the money they need and private schools can operate independently
SMU_Alumni11
PonyFans.com Legend

Previous

Return to Other Sports